Bike broke down yesterday :(

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by lambchops, Apr 2, 2015.

1. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

well went for a spin yesterday and bike conked out and had to be recovered :( it's a charging issue not sure if it's rec or stator engine is the rr5 prone to failing.. Guy I bought the engine off said he had just replaced the stator before he broke the bike so it's done 5-6k by me last year.

can honda tell me if it's had the updated flywheel recall if I give them the engine number? Also I've removed the tank now can I test if the stator is fubar with out starting the bike, can visable inspect the coils I guess but anything more scientific I can do?

2. Marion

Marion Well-Known Member

I had an 05 blade which kept conking out. Took it to the local honda dealers who said it was the alternator, was replaced free of charge and I paid £30 towards cost of labour. That was in 2011 and I hadn't bought the bike from them. Fixed the problem too.

3. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sure I read that you should replace the stator and reg/rec at the same time as it could be one causing the other to go. A lot of people replace one and end up having the same prob a few k later.

I'm sure someone will correct me tho

4. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

Honda should be able to tell you by the part number.......I suspect it,ll be a re wound one or someone replaced like for like , the 04/5 stator/ flywheels were always a problem and quite often take out the R/R as well and worst case it,ll need a battery too........nightmare fella

5. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Thanks haggler,

Battery recovered quite well when left, it's a lithium and almost started the bike the next day so hoping the battery is ok.. Like a fool I removed the tank and checked fuses and stuff first and now can't start it to check voltages. At the road side RAC guy put his battery pack on and started the bike, output at stator was 1.5v at idle , didn't Rev it should have but didn't think... Voltage at battery was 8v at idle so sure it's the stator just whether the rec is toast also.. All wires look good no burning etc, seen some rec wires melted etc when they go so fingers crossed!

My rec wiring is all extended and modded to fit in the subframe so hoping it's not that as pain to repeat on the new one :(

6. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Going to crack the cover later and inspect the windings for damage.. Hoing it will be obvious it's gone tbh

7. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

For anyone that suffers with Honda reg/rec issues, there is a good diy rewire workshop tip in this Aprils Practical Sportsbikes.

The claim is that after rewiring they have never seen the RR fail again.

8. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well its seems burnt out, started a new thread as want help to identify if the flywheel is an old type

[​IMG]

9. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Yep, it's toast. Is there any online guides or info in the manual as to whether you can check the windings are open circuit etc. Not much point I agree as it looks shot.

10. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Yes there is a continuity test but my meter is bust, reads voltage but doesnt power up for that type of test.. The rear is worse the wiring is black and crispy even smells burnt.

Anyone know the part numbers of the updated flywheel / stator so I can order one?

11. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

Look up the numbers for a 06/7 ............

12. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Oh really, its just the same as the 06 / 07 version?

13. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well just looked and its £600 for the flywheel and £300 for the stator on Honda listings for RR7! Dont think I will bother..

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

Buy it as a kit...........about £ 350 windings AND flywheel , or it was the last one my mate bought .

15. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

16. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

But you need the later set........for the 06/7 they made the gap between the windings and the flywheel bigger . It's said that the 04/5 gap was too small ,when the engine parts expanded there was too much localised heat combined with not enough cooling by the oil to cool the small gap between flywheel/ windings thus the problem you have . Left unattended it would cause a small explosion within the crankcase , igniting petrol vapour and would blow the cam cover seal outwards......the first thing you would know about it would be an oil leak .

17. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

Mr Honda was at one time giving 7 year ,low mileage goodwill for this fault.....NOT warranty but GOODWILL and was up to the Dealer discretion . In view that your bike is......shall we say........well known.......and it would be fair to say you " know" enough peeps in the biking industry I think a letter penned to Mr Honda UK might be the way forward............if it were me.......too bloody right I would

18. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

I wouldn't think you could buy the old version from Honda anymore... need to check part numbers I guess to be sure.. Seems Honda sell the RR5 "kit" as a different part number PFKL 228554. Wonder if they did something similar in the US..

Not spending £370 on it.. Tempted to buy the £40 ebay version and include Stator swaps as part of my winter servicing intervals until I update to an RR7 engine! :)

19. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Just seen the above Haggler not a bad idea.. Will give it a go, normally have good results when Im on the scrounge :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

The new ones are revised, they wouldn't be able to recall something and continue to sell the faulty type.
    So if you end up buying just order the 04/05 parts