Bike Tax

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradt, Apr 1, 2022.

1. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Stealthy increase on car tax today, has bike tax increased?

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I would be surprised if not, I can't remember a year when road tax wasn't increased.

3. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

I taxed my bike 3 days ago to start on 1st April, it was exactly the same price as last year.

4. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

It's gone up £5. Top rate is now £101

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Still salt on my roads so it stays under cover:(

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. bladey

bladey Senior Member

I sorn'd mine one winter to save on tax & insurance thinking I'd not get much use out of it then cursed every decent day till end of March. Never doing it again though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

I use both mine all year round... i love dodging the pot holes in Cornwall :eek:

8. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

if you get bored of cornish potholes you are welcome to experience the swindish ones;)

9. bladey

bladey Senior Member

And those lovely designer ones all over Suffolk

10. okeloon

okeloon Active Member

what's tax like in UK, £25 for my blade here

11. bradt

bradt Elite Member

£101 for the year ! fucking ridiculous when you compare it to some cars that are way less.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

£20 per year for a 150bhp VW Diesel :D. Its a pleasure to pay that everytime the letter drops.

13. Coda

Coda Active Member

I paid £30 last November for my '16 Skoda Superb with the uprated 2.0 diesel engine. It was £20 previously. For my VW bus, I pay nothing as it's more than 40 years old. So £131 for three vehicles on average isn't too bad but I still disagree with bikes costing so much. Especially when a lot of countries don't do road tax at all (except for motorways) and still have decent roads.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. bladey

bladey Senior Member

But then most of the tax doesn't go on the roads does it. Total swindle - one of many! They'd be paved with friggin gold if it was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I can't believe all new cars are taxed at the same rate, a range rover V8 is taxed at the same rate as the wife's Hyundai i10 It must have been the the rich complaining so it has all changed, the rich look after themselves, Tax loopholes never get closed for the rich but if you are poor they are onto you

16. Paul Longstaff

Paul Longstaff Senior Member

I paid £600 to tax my car a few weeks ago but had my car been registered 8 weeks later than it was, I would only be paying about £150 for it.
    Whole system.is now overly complex and almost unfathomable.
    I brand new system needs to be put in place scrapping everything before it.
    The differing systems and pricing just don't make sense anymore whether it's a car a bike or an electric vehicle.
    I've got a foot in all the camps, bikes, Ev and stupid big thirsty planet killer but I still get confused about what it is I am paying for?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

:eek::eek::eek:. No chance. System is a mess but legacy needs to remain unfortunately for people who have bought a car on the trust of it having cheap tax...like me :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Coda

Coda Active Member

Welcome to Britain, where, if we can make something more complex than it needs to be and keep useless people in govt jobs, we will.
    Agreed. This also goes for income tax. In fact the whole taxation system needs to be scrapped and rebuilt with a very simple system. We (the taxpayers) pay BILLIONS a year just to keep the HMRC machine going. That self-feeding monster needs to die. The 10's of thousands employed there can find other jobs. Maybe they can help to build an industry back in this country.

19. Coda

Coda Active Member

I have three vehicles and pay about £130 a year in total. One is a diesel, one is historic, and the other, my Blade. Several years ago, before the rules changed justified by environmental concerns I'd pay probably double. If that was the case now, I wouldn't be concerned. The problem is what is right for the country, and what is fair to the people living in it, and the current system is neither.
    If we had a proper taxation system overhaul, ALL of us would be paying a lot less tax in total but the govt would be getting more clear funds to do useful things with, like fix the bloody awful roads, get the NHS working properly again, etc etc.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Agree entirely, but I still think the people who played the system as advertised and bought a car because it had cheap tax should be honoured for their time of ownership. Maybe the answer is for the "road" tax to change only when old cars are next sold on. They do something similar with council tax, if you improve your house and its due a re-banding because of the improvements the next owner gets the altered band and not you.

• Like Like x 1