Bike Tax

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradt, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Coda

Coda Active Member

Absolutely agree. Is it called 'grandfather rights' or something? I.e. the rules change but you had an expectation under the old rules?

BTW I didn't know about the council tax thing. That actually helps me out. I'm building a garage which would put the house value into the next band up and I was concerned about paying our useless local govt even more money to sit on their fat &*£(ses. While the roads around my village get worse and means riding a sports bike equates to gambling with your life. :mad:

• Like Like x 2
  2. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Yea double check that, but I'm sure that's how it works.

3. bladey

bladey Senior Member

I think it must do. We extended the kitchen in 2012 by 25 feet to make a kitchen/dining room. Not had a change in the valuation since then. I left a tree pretty close to the building line (paranoid? Me??) so that it would sort of shade the new roof from the air in case the nosey buggers used Google to see if anyone has built stuff and not told them, which was daft I know as we got planning permission from them, so someone somewhere knows and not done anything about it.

4. Paul Longstaff

Paul Longstaff Senior Member

Surely this approach of honouring what went before but only up to the point of sale just adds yet another layer of complexity and that's how we've ended up with the hugely confusing VED system we have now.
    The whole system.needs binned and a brand new simpler and fairer system to be put in its place.
    I can't see how the argument ' I bought x car because it had cheap, low or zero ved' holds up.
    Things change, vat changes, income tax changes, interest rates change its the way of the world and can't surely be honoured?
    I bought a diesel because the government encouraged us too but now I can't take it into some cities without having to pay punitive taxes. If I don't like it I can change the car.
    A new simpler and fairer system needs to be put in place.
    How can my electric car be free or zero rated yet does more Miles and so more road wear than both my bikes put together yet I pay over a £100 each for the bikes?
    It's weird, wrong and should be sorted to be fairer to all.