Bike to bike intercom

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by lambchops, Dec 28, 2014.

1. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Does anyone have or used a bike to bike intercom? Think it could be realy fun on a ride to be able to talk to and take the piss out of your fellow rider buddies whilst on a blast.

Seems to be a lots of systems out there but they seem to use mobile phones to link up.. Don't fancy huge phone bills as part of it.. Anyone use anything like this?

2. Si.

Si. God Like

Yup. Scala G4 and g9 are the biz.

• Like Like x 2
  3. thefirebloke

thefirebloke Elite Member

Used these in Spain this year and was very disappointed in them. Think they're probably the best out there but at best "they're a bit of fun".
    They run out of steam well before the claimed 1 mile reception and are pretty useless at anything above 50 mph......... Only my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Ok thanks for the input guys intersting, will do some research. Anyone else have any real world feedback on this system?

5. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

The intercom is separate to the phone part so you won't run up a bill for using the intercom

6. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Use g4 and g9 all the time, last 12 hours but like Steve says, 1 mile range is hopeful.

Personally I think they are brilliant. Dave v put a jack on mine so my ultimate ear are crystal clear off the chart.

We've had a proper crack on them and have made ride outs an absolute blast..... Best thing you can do is set em up and let them do their thing! Piss around with em and they play up

7. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Does sound great! Seem to be about £250 each on eBay, is that for one or a pair listings are not clear?

8. thefirebloke

thefirebloke Elite Member

Contact GaryB, he got us a good deal on them.

9. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

Me and three or four mates used to all have the expensive scala g's etc but when we worked out how much we used them at home riding in UK they weren't worth replacing when they eventually started packing in. My scala only lasted three years before a particularly heavy deluge wrecked its ability to charge.

so for trips to Europe now we've got cheapy BT Interphone type things, like these;
    BT interphone Bluetooth Motorbike Motorcycle helmet intercom Headset 800M rider to pillion: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

They're fine for talking up to fifty mph or so, and giving advance warning of turns, hazards, missed junctions etc, but a fraction of the price, and they'll do the whole phone,music thing if you want. I'm happy to buy a new one every year at that price.

10. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

That looks great Pete for the price!

11. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

Just remember that once they're paired up your mates will soon discover if you sing euro trash pop tunes to yourself whilst your riding. So I'm told. :rolleyes:

12. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I'd guess the £250 is for a pair?
    eBay is the place to be, unless you can get a good discount else where?

As for the G9 I couldn't fault it whilst I was away.
    The key is in the fitting, making sure the ear phones go inside the lining of the cheek pads.
    It's a little trial and error but with time you'll get it right.
    For comfort don't be afraid to cut back some foam to make room for the ear pieces to sit better.
    This will help with prolonged use and the extra pressure on you lug holes, it may seem okay at the time but when you've had them in for a few hours you do feel like you've done a few rounds in the boxing ring.
    As said. It's all in the fitting.
    I took a bit of time with mine getting it right, I could quiet clearly hear the others in the group at good speeds, but they couldn't here me because theirs were thrown into the lids 'by me' on the over night ferry to Spain.
    Next piece of advice.
    Take a Jase with you. Someone who knows how to read an instruction manual and then to actually follow the instructions given ;)
    Pairs do come, well, err paired. But we was matching two single to one double.
    And don't you feel silly sat looking at each other across the corridor saying hello hello hello hello x that by 1000.

The claimed distance as mentioned. Nothing like. Even in a straight line you'd find it difficult to keep a good signal.
    Think my name by the end of the tour was rider B disconnected :)

But all that said, for keeping a group together and having a laugh at reasonable speeds I think it's great, you can access the cardo community set up an account 'free' then if some one else you've never even met are in range it will ask if you'd like to join them and connect.
    But if it's a load of greasers and you going in for the piss take, make sure the lights are on green ;)
    You can pre programme radio stations, connect your phone Satnav 'certain models'
    :Edit: also update the software for the units. They update quite regular.
    Also an app for android where you can do some tasks away from a PC.

All that said, I'm going to go the Jimbo route and get a jack plug made for some decent earphones.
    Does the two things, reduces wind noise and your mates will be 'pun intended' coming in your ears loud and clear.

• Like Like x 4
  13. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Thanks Gary great tips there mate. Think I will try out the BT ones for 30 quid see if it's something which could be fun, if I can persuade my riding buddies to invest also of courses!

14. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I am also looking at getting a set. Am considering the G9X powerset, but am wary about Arthur's previous post about Cardo being difficult if you buy them from non-authorised dealers.

15. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Let me know which one you get as might get the same

16. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

will do Steve should be smart I think :)

17. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Although we might need a range booster when Martin keeps lagging behind on that repslow of his :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Spudkent1

Spudkent1 Active Member

I use autocom units with two way radios only fault is now I have fitted a quick shifter it cuts the bike out when I send or receive so not a lot of good now I need to sort it out