Blade decisions

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by mk3golfcab, May 23, 2019.

1. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

hi everyone, most of you will be aware that I wrote my RR7 off last month.

I’ve been looking into the next bike I want, initially and still I’d love an S1000RR but they are more than I want to pay for a low mileage newish one.

I’ve kind of settled on a 2012-2016 blade. I’m not quite there to be looking with a view to buying yet (still saving).

I’d be looking to pay around £6500-£7000 for one and would like to get something around 2013 with 10k miles on it. Preferably the tri colour hrc model.

What I want to know is:

Is there anything I should look out for?
    Are they better than an RR7 or will I be left disappointed?
    Is my budget about right?
    And any other wisdom, experiences you guys have?

Thanks

2. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I cant be too much help...however the time frame you list 2012-2106 covers a model change....@nigelrb shared a link ages ago and it shows the model and changes - there aren't many to be fair but it's worth a read.

Here it is: https://motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/Honda7.html

(currently states the owner has exceeded his/her bandwidth limit :rolleyes:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I can't be much help either. I am a rap for the RR7, but have no experience with the 12 - 16s other than my knowledge of the 'beware of ABS' threads on here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. raphael

raphael Elite Member

eBay auto trader will give you an idea of what you can get for what :Dbudget mate.
    I haven’t had a 07 but but an 05 and currently on a 2012.
    I find the 12 a bit more flighty and not as planted as the 05 in corners or high speed straights but I like the light feeling so suits me.
    On the 12 bike all the restrictions and cat are in the end can and link pipe so easier to get the most out of the system.
    The service intervals are longer on the 12+ bikes, going to 8k if you want to leave it that long?
    Some don’t like the big piston forks on the newer bikes but once you get them set up I would imagine a lot better than they older forks?
    Sorry if not very informative but had mine so long now I just ride it lol
    There’s a guy on here that could do you a tasty chain guard so worth getting the newer one just for that:D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help so far. I’m just concerned that I will miss the RR7 too much.

I’d read the endless ABS is awful threads in here and wondered if there was anything else to be aware of.

Chain guards you say.... lol. That’s the main reason I want one. All the lovely pictures of your bikes have made me want to match! Damn chain guards!! :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. raphael

raphael Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kilr'b

Kilr'b Active Member

08 through 16 were essentially the same bike with cosmetic and suspension changes and minor tweaking. Suspension feel with is worth it in my opinion as it's completely changed my 08 which even with its miles I would put up against any 12-16. The 08 truly feels like a 600 compared to the previous gen but you should sit on and if possible ride both before you decide. Plenty of HRC variants on eBay U.K. As we speak. Go get u some:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

I sold my 2015 for an RR5 and to me they are a million miles apart. The 2015 felt a hell of a lot faster and handling a lot sharper. I've hardly ridden the RR5 to give it time but it feels the 10 years age difference. It doesn't bother me as I wanted a cheaper bike so happy with what i've got but if I had to pick either to ride i'd go for the 2015 every time.

I will add though with that 10 years difference is also the lesser build quality of the newer bike. I've now had 4 hondas 3 of which are blades and the 2015 was the worst build quality out of the lot - the other 3 Hondas being a 2005 (blade), 2001 (blade) and a 1988 (400rr NC23). The 929 and the NC23 were bullet proof and the RR5 i've got now is pretty much unmarked. That could not be said for the 2015 after only 5k miles - engine casing paint all flaking off and the frame mottled.

#8 Sp0oner, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. slasherr

slasherr Active Member

I looked at the 2018 Blade upon release and couldn't believe the terrible build quality. It's quite clear to see Honda's strategy, resell the same old tech with a few tweaks here and there but at all costs build it cheaper, despite prices increasing from £9,999 in 2009 to £16,000 or more in 2019 I had considered replacing my 09 with a new blade even considering an SP until seeing it up close so sad really.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Out of interest, what are you saying is wrong with the 2018 build quality?

11. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

There was no argument from my local dealership when I complained at the flaking paint on my engine cover at how manufacturing costs had been cut admitting Honda had gone down this road but all the big 4 Japanese manufacturers had. There is no doubt in my mind having commuted all year round on previous bikes and having just put them straight in the garage when getting home with all the road crud on them and then straight back out the next day with an occasional wash at weekends and no corrosion that no way todays bikes can handle that sort of abuse as shown by the issues on my 2015 and it hadn't even been out in Winter. Back then there was no need for ventureshield or any of this stuff i'd never heard of until I joined this forum. Todays bikes need wrapping in cotton wool to look after them.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Yep, sad but true

13. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Couldn’t agree more mate! I’ve banged this drum on here enough but you will get the same old other brands are a lot worse line.
    I commutes on a zx6 and didn’t have to replace a single bolt yet my 2012 was a bag of shite after the same treatment and one winter.
    The only ones who will disagree are the ones who look at there bike in the garage if there’s a hint of rain so wouldn’t know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. slasherr

slasherr Active Member

The bike I viewed had rough casting marks all over the frame and I wasn't overly impressed with the plastics either. I havn't ridden one so can't comment on ride or performance although by all accounts it is an improvement over the older gen.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

Build wise for me the last of the properly put together blades was the 954, I had 2 of them and rode them all year round in all weather. They were what Honda were all about in their hey day.

In comparison when I moved to the 2005 it just felt too heavy and lazy handling. Then later a move to the 2008 felt like the cost cutting had kicked in. Flaky black paint on the exhaust and titanium had been replaced with steel. The 2010 and 14 felt a bit better put together but the component quality had definitely gone down. It actually felt like the 17/18 had improved, not a 954, but then you're paying a premium for it.

16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I guess we all have different standards, but for a mass produced bike I can't fault my 2018. Sure, I'd like to see carbon instead of plastic, but as the bikes are built to a price I'm happy with my lot. There's still those who will say there's other Japanese brands with a poorer finish.

Not criticising any opinions here.;)

17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Hey DF, did you see my 954 thread? Just search 'bumble bee' :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  18. slasherr

slasherr Active Member

Sadly it is often the case as soon as one company reduces quality to cut costs all companies need to follow just to remain competitive, this is apparent in all lines of business. Some of us are old enough to remember the "good ol'days" and have perhaps grown a little bitter about the 60% price increases that seem to follow.

Tinfoil hat firmly on when simple nuts, bolts and fastners aren't as good as they used to be questions need to be answered.

If your happy with yours then that's what matters, enjoy it :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

Nice looks like a minter. I had an 03 in the yellow and blue scheme which looked yellow/black until the sun came out. I always thought your later yellow and black looked much better.

I've actually been considering putting a red/black or blue/black in the garage, but I'm considering moving the car on next spring.

20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I come from the good old days: 1970 CB175 ; 1971 CB 750.

Ok, we had chrome guards, painted decals and pinstripes etc. The welds are better now than then, and I don't see any decline in finish. Can't comment on weather deterioration though, I'm a dry weather only person. :)