Bleeding brakes

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by auag, Jul 22, 2019.

1. auag

auag Active Member

Old chestnut but, what's your best technique and tips for that factory solid lever feel?

2. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

Usually, I crack open the lines (under pressure) with a bleeder bag setup and run them through. Keep in mind, I have a non-ABS blade, so this is fairly simple for me. Not sure what model you have.

• Like Like x 1
  3. auag

auag Active Member

Mine are 07s.
    I bought a Gunsons Eezibleed to try forcing the fluid through quickly, but when I got home the reservoir tops provided are all very similar but not quite a fit to the Nissin OEM.
    An ADs mechanic told me they leave the levers partly depressed overnight, with a cable tie or similar, and any bubbles are gone the next day.
    I'm assuming the factory uses force or evacuates the lines? Don't know for sure.

4. Spygoat

I do the same, I put a zip-tie on the lever/grip and the next day it is perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

+1 for tying back the lever overnight.

I've a couple of easy bleed type things but always seem to finish with the old fashioned manual method to get the last bit of air out.

#5 Barstewardsquad, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  6. auag

auag Active Member

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.
    I was puzzled why at least the front brakes on a bike wouldn't just self bleed over time as they're basically vertical.
    I get cars are longer lines and mostly horizontal but bikes should be easy. However, it's still common to get a spongy lever even when pumped for ages.

7. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

If its just a a fluid flush then I bleed brakes the conventional way. Pump the lever a few times and crack the bleed nipple open.

I just replaced the rubber hoses on my MT 10 with some braided lines from Venhill. As the system is bone dry I like to reverse bleed the system using a syringe full of fresh fluid and I pump that through until i see fluid in the MC reservoir. Then I switch to conventional bleeding as mentioned above. Don't forget the bleed nipple on front MC as well as the calipers. Usually 3 to 4 full reservoirs of fresh fluid is all thats required at each bleed nipple.

A handy tip is to zip tie lever open to let air naturally rise into the reservoir and do not re-use the fluid you push through the system as its full of air. Also don't shake the bottle :-0

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Spygoat

excellent tip!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. auag

auag Active Member

I've not thought what to use but a light vibrating tool (haha yes I know) I think would work bubbles out too.
    Start at the calipers and chase the lines up. Like settling concrete.

10. Spygoat

My missus has something for that, perhaps next time I do the brakes I will borrow it..thanks for the heads up!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

wrong frequency.
    It will create more bubbles:D