Brake lever will touch the grip

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Wayne Steele, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Wayne Steele

Wayne Steele Active Member

Hi all,

Decided to put my original levers back on today and noticed that I can squeeze the brake lever all the way to the bar while stationary. When pushing the bike and applying the brake it does stop the bike with hardly any pull on the lever but not sure why I can pull it all the way to the grip?

The bike has standard mc and braided lines which were bled a couple of months ago.

I didnt bother to try this with the aftermarket levers on (ASV) so cant say if it was like this before changing the levers.

Thanks in advance!

2. Wayne Steele

I will add that the brakes feel ok from what miles I have done which is approx 60. Not as good as my previous bike (speed triple with brembos but very very low miles)

3. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

I can do this with my blade and my brothers, I recon if pulled the lever even half way whilst riding it I’d probably do a stoppie.

4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Yeah some do. What you have to remember is there will be flex/expansion in the hydraulic system as you build up the pressure when pulling the lever.
    You could try bleeding the brakes to within an inch of their life and still find that there's loads of travel. Main thing is that the brakes work to the point where the wheel could lock up.

5. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Is this the abs problem?

6. Wayne Steele

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. dern

dern Well-Known Member

I don’t suppose you’ve dropped and not fitted the tube spacer bush thing by any chance? It’s there so the bolt doesn’t wear away at the ally of the lever. I didn’t install it once and the lever felt really odd and came back to the bar because of the extra play. Unlikely I know but worth a check.

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

My RR6 is exactly the same. I've had the calipers looked at with new seals etc, new pads, new brake lines, fluid, etc, still the lever comes back to the bar.

It's a brilliant bike but the brakes are a weak point IMO. I spent a few hours on a 675 Street Triple a few weeks back and the brakes on that were in a different league. Replacement master cylinder seems to be the cure by all accounts although I read with interest the recent thread that later calipers fit straight on. Winter will see me overhauling them with a master cylinder, new discs and potentially new(er) calipers, I'm expecting it to throw me over the bars once sorted and for the lever to get nowhere near the grip.

9. Wayne Steele

Rode to work on the bike this morning and the brakes certainly feel good :)

• Like Like x 2