Brake questions

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by blink, Sep 1, 2019.

1. blink

blink Well-Known Member

My front brake is binding, or dragging, so it squeaks slightly when rolling around, and you can feel it when spinning the front wheel by hand.

The MOT guy told me to just push the piston back by hand and refit it, seems a bit pointless, because presumably, something is wrong with it.

is there a service kit for them or something? Basically, what should i do?

before anyone starts, I know what I'm doing mechanically, changed loads of brakes before and always work on my own cars

2. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Sounds like they need a good clean. Take the pads out give them a good clean especially where they contact the calliper, whilst you’re at it check the pistons are moving freely.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Caliper off, pads out, then clean the pistons with brake cleaner and a toothbrush. I bought a load of cheapy toothbrushes specifically for this, think they worked out at about 10p each. If that isn't enough to fix it you will need to strip the caliper to fully clean it, the pistons etc.

Also check/clean/free the disc floats, just need a bolt large enough to pass through and a nut and some washers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. blink

blink Well-Known Member

ok, so worth just a clean then, was wondering if there were bits to change, common problem sort of thing

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

Worst case.seals can swell or debris gets behind them and force them to grip the piston.
    May require new seal and a clean.
    Best case clean and lube the pistons.
    Depends on use and storage.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Get a can or two of cheapo brake cleaner from Halfords and really go to town, don't forget the disc too!

• Like Like x 1
  7. blink

blink Well-Known Member

just bought some brake cleaner from amazon

8. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I got my CBR with 700 miles on the clock and the front wheel was covered in brake dust, I have never been able to spin the wheel to my satisfaction even though I strip calipers every year, it never goes out in the rain and only does 2K a year, My sons R6 spins great and not serviced that often :(

9. blink

blink Well-Known Member

and i have just realised thats why my front wheel is dull

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

@blink . Great 'tache mate! I don't suppose you've replaced the brake lever recently? The m/cyl pivot needs to be free, otherwise it keeps pressure on. But, as others have said, calliper pistons & brake pads need to be clean & require much more TLC than cars. They've got a dirty job! If they're all good, I've known flexi hoses to partially collapse internally which then won't allow fluid to return to the m/cyl.

• Like Like x 1
  11. blink

blink Well-Known Member

Its not me in the avatat, just niges sense of humour. I have a full on beard lol

I did replace the brake lever ages ago. Now i cant remember which bike had it catching like you describe. Something to check i think. Thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Mine was 700 miles all standard, no major dust build up on calipers did not look like it had been used in the wet. It is the caliper pistons that stick. When you try to get them out they are tight on the seals, then I put red lube on and they glide back in, but after a while they tighten up. mine is ok but still not as free as I would like if I service once a year. But if anyone knows of anything better than the red lube please say

13. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I've always kept on top of mine especially when I was commuting, with specific cleaner. Currently using this one.
    Even on the high mileage blades used all year round I very rarely had issues.
    Once you've got it sorted @blink get a tin of this or similar and use it regularly it's easy peasy to apply...:)

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Black & White

@Jez. That's the right stuff mate - proper brake component grease for assembly, although a smear of brake fluid is just as good. Anything else risks attacking the rubber seals. Bear in mind though, it's only the distortion of the piston seals against the piston that withdraw the pads from the discs.

15. blink

blink Well-Known Member

16. Black & White

That's the right stuff to use, though personally, I'd just reassemble with lashings of brake fluid. You only need the lube so that you don't pinch or tear the seals when you put it back together. But then again, I am a tight f**ker!

17. blink

blink Well-Known Member

dont think i have any dot4 so ill have to buy one or the other

18. raphael

raphael Elite Member

I use my bike all year mate and the calipers need massive attention in the crap weather but found stainless pistons made a big difference.
    They don’t mark as easy and move more freely.and I also use the red grease

19. Black & White

If you're stripping the callipers, you'll need some brake fluid anyway. Just buy 4 litres, as it works out much cheaper. Just make sure the container's open for the minimal amount of time because it absorbs moisture when the lid's off!

20. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

would definitely change the seals as well lubing them with brake fluid. In my experience, you can't beat motul rb600 fluid for price & performane.
    Also worth checking if the caliper bore has corrosion on it which the piston gets stuck at.
    Have you thought of sending them away for complete refurbishment?
    BTW thanks for the granville link. Been after such a product for months!