Brake travel

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by levin, Sep 9, 2017.

1. levin

levin Active Member

Iv searched here and found that the cbr1000rr master cylinder has a bit of travel before getting a good bite ,
    Iv just changed brake lines last night and bled both calipers and master cylinder 3 times and it still feels like stock , I can pull the lever back at it's furthest setting to about a finger width from the bar , what's the best way of sorting this other than buying a brembo master

2. levin

levin Active Member

Just to add , there's a definite improvement on the rear brake with the new braided line but the front just feels the same as stock lines

3. Jez

Jez Senior Member

There is an old trick that I have used how or why it works I don't know. but this is what you do, pump the brake a few times and then put a tie wrap round your lever and handle bar so the brakes are on quite hard. leave overnight then re bleed in the morning.give it a go

• Like Like x 1
  4. levin

levin Active Member

Thanks Jez, I should have updated this thread, but that's exactly what I did ,
    I put a cable tie around the brake lever and bar and left it for a couple of hours with the reservoir left open , when I came back it was much better and I also got a bit more air from the master cylinder bleed nipple

5. BikersDiscountStore

BikersDiscountStore Active Member

It's caused by the seals clinging onto the piston surface and dragging them back from the pads. Leaving the brakes on overnight allows the seals time to relax leaving the pistons closer to the pads at rest.

• Like Like x 1