Brakes master cylinders..

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by NotNickyHayden, Jul 17, 2016.

1. NotNickyHayden

NotNickyHayden New Member

I've read posts on the forum.. I've managed to do a bit of research but what do you guys think is the best upgrade...

I am thinking this one:

RCS Brake Master Cylinder: The 19mm bore brake unit will power any twin disc system and allows you to switch between an 18 and 20 piston ratio, enabling you to change the 'feel' of your lever from a progressive to more aggressive option, allowing greater control. Perfect for changeable weather and track conditions. (Also fitted with brake light switch)

or BREMBO MC 19x20 or 19x18

I'm not messing about with the stock set up... I think it's bad, the worse I've ever had, too many post about spongy brakes and hoses... It might improve with braided lines but I rather address all issues at the same time I don't want reoccurring problems.
    I much preferred the brakes on my old carb blade and my old R1.

This is high on the to do list now...

#1 NotNickyHayden, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  2. Dazzler54

Dazzler54 Member

Brembo is the best but there are alternatives. Accossato for instance.

With the more recent brembo you can switch between ratios.

You may have to buy a reservoir kit to go with it though.

I have to say though my 08 setup isn't that bad. I've fitted braided line and stripped the calipers to clean, use mogul rbf660 and bendix mrr pads. The lever is not as solid as I'd like but its no problem at all and works amazingly. Fast group track day riding without issue.

That said, for 200 quid it's a nice upgrade

3. NotNickyHayden

Having been out on the bike since, I don't think it has a lack of stopping power (as it will compress the forks and lift the rear wheel all be it a bit unpredictable) Something is not right as the lever has to travel so far and has very little use until that point - seems like air in the system now, weird I did not notice it when I bought the bike but maybe I was riding much slower.

I will be fitting the braided lines and re bleeding. I just hope the brakes stay firm. The brakes are starting to feel a bit dangerous (as my confidence increases) not just a little vague so I will need to sort it asap..

I may also need my forks respung, minim I will need suspension set up.

4. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Been using the OEM MC and RCS19, went back to OEM then RCS again so really felt the difference.

Have to add mine is a ABS but the ABS is not active, all lines are braided.

The feel between the two is night and day,

RCS has much shorter level travel and feels rock hard when the pad hits the disc.

OEM has a little extra stopping power but much more spongy.

For me RCS ( or a bigger MC) feels much more positive, the relation between the level pressure and braking force seems to be a bit more proportional.

I also have K-tech internals set up for me which probably help too

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dazzler54

Dazzler54 Member

You're lever shouldn't be anywhere near the bar bar even with completely stock setup. If it is you've got air in the system or knackered M/C seals / bore. Also double check your span adjuster in not on minimum.

If you are replacing the lines I'd take the time to strip and clean the calipers and rebuild the M/C with a Genuine rebuild kit - about £40 from Honda. Then bleed properly and maybe use a bleeding tool. Screw Fix do a Gunson one for £20. After that I think you'll be happy.

Re. the fork springs, check out the website Racetech suspension and choose the Calculate spring weights link at the top
    http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Honda/CBR1000RR Fire Blade/2008-11

On there you can select your bike, enter your weight and riding style and they will recommend a spring weight for your bike as well as showing what the standard spring weights are. On the 08 model when I check, the standard was already correct for my weight 80kg based on track riding. (I ride on road and track but prefer a bike setup for the track on the road than the other way around)

Best advise on suspension in my opinion is to get the basics right, then improve you're riding, then, if required, think about upgrades.

Setup your sag to suit your weight and riding style (see Google for guide on rider and static sag setup), setup compression and preload to standard settings then go a ride a lot. After a while you might feel the need to tweak something. If so, find a guide online and change one thing at a time and give your self time to get used to it.

Anyway, not sure why I've turned this brakes thread into suspension advise.....probably because I'm at work and its more interesting that working!

• Like Like x 1
  6. NotNickyHayden

Will take a look at it today if I get some time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. NotNickyHayden

There is nothing wrong with the calipers, they don't leak fluid, stick or bind.. If I was racing I would not strip them for the sake of it, more problems can occur after repair work...

The master cylinder works, it moves the pistons does not leak fluid externally, obviously if the seals are not sealing too well it maybe losing some compression.There is no air in this system. I suspect the master cylinder may be the issue but it's odd as I've older bikes that have no problems with... but can't rule it out. I am not messing about with it...

I have just ordered the adjustable Brembro RCS 19 master cylinder kit.

I fitted the new lines, had the calipers off and re bled... not a bubble. I don't buy that crap about it being difficult to bleed. Maybe with ABS but
    It's only difficult if you are new to do this kind of thing.

Brake feel is a personal thing... There are dozens of post about CBR spongy brakes, not so many on the BMW and people were happy even with the early R6/R1 blue spot brakes... me included.

I will sort it but I am not spending much more on it than a suspension set up, I will check it's stock and do the sag myself first. I think I will be adding a bit of compression to the front forks.