Brakes poor

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Gravel trap, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

Right it' as simple as this my r6 many srads zxrs kr1 ok not the kr1 but the others all had a better feel at the front lever than my rr4. I have changed fluid pot new fluid new nipples changed padsAdmittedly some shitty thirty quid jobs not genuine but it' got help lines on and I am bleeding each weekend and lever is soft shit and braking performance terrible. I am braking layer in my wife' 16 plate Passat on same roads yes. Mastercylinder had a service too . Do I have to sell a child for a radial master and brembos or will this black and orange witch ever behave.

2. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Have you bled the master cylinder mate?

3. Gravel trap

Yeah I have just bled again starting at master cylinder then right calipers and left and it gets an ok lever but still soft and poor if moving along at any decent pace. Iam a married fat guy with three kids and no life insurance so I'm not out trying to boil fluid.

4. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Quite often brembo rcs19 for sale 9n ebay etc. Makes a huge difference.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gravel trap

Well if anyone wants a 13 year old girl who has a phone stuck to her nose when not at school or air cadets or a 11 year old fortnight expert boy or an 8 year old cartoon monster artist boy who also enjoys using any tools he can find to chop kindling wood I may get one . Seriously though I had thought about a new master cylinder. I'l Get saving.

6. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

What method did you use to bleed your brakes? It can be a bit of a pain bleeding bike brakes as every time you release the lever the air wants to travel back up the brake hose. Last time I bled brakes I had to use a vacuum pump bleeder to get a satisfactory result.

7. Gravel trap

I have a sealey bleeder and have been using that.

8. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Mine had standard honda pads when i got it 700 miles on clock, I never liked them I felt they had no bite. I have now fitted EBC HH, I love them. I just have to touch the brakes and it stops, mine is abs so not a solid brake lever even with hel lines, but it does stop well.

9. Gravel trap

10. Gravel trap

Master cylinder getting fresh internals and a clean . Drained all old fluid out and flushed system

11. Gravel trap

Calipers stripped and piston cleaned all ok and seals ok so hopefully once rebuilt and bled up I should have some brakes.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gravel trap

Still soft and back to bar . Three pots of fluid I've bled through . It does get hard but not till half way through travel. Last night I layed her on her side. On crash bung and an old sofa cushion. Zip tied lever fully back and left for two hours. Came back lifted up and two bubbles in pot and a harder lever. Still not great and travel too far on lever so tonight I'll bleed some more and see if I can improve it. Ffs it' just two fluid lines I've never had such hassle before

13. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Have you tried cracking the banjo connected to the m/c? Has worked for me in the past

14. Gravel trap

I removed lines and flushed them through with clean fluid whilst fitting the master cylinder seal kit. I will give it a go . Carnt get any worse

15. numnut

numnut Active Member

It took me 3 goes over 3 days to get all the air out when I installed new lines - I wasn't using any fancy bleeder, just a bit of hose.
    I started by leaving the lever tied to the bar overnight, then in the morning, released the lever and bled the master cylinder first then the calipers. Once I'd stopped getting bubbles, I tied the lever back and went back the next day and did the same.

Might be a bad technique, but worked for me. I've still got more lever travel than I'd like, but once the lever gets to about half-way through the travel it's just solid.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gravel trap

I was thinking about doing the same I'll try it .

17. Gravel trap

Did this Last night. Better but Still back to bar .will carry on ill it' sorted

18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

This must be a real dilemma. You're obviously a guy who knows what he's doing, but I am perplexed that after all the variations you've tried to solve it, it's still not sorted.

On re-reading your post, I wonder if there's a possibility (with the greatest respect) that all seals WERE NOT okay? Worth another look, maybe? You've done everything possible related to bleeding - it must be elsewhere.

19. Gravel trap

Oh please don't make the mistake of attrbuting respect I am an absolute degenerate who deserves all he gets. Actualy due to a sub streak i quiet enjoy the torture of my constant failings. I completey agree . I am going to order a seal kit and once it arrives I'll fit and start again.

• Like Like x 1
  20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

You're fortunate you have only one 'sub-streak'. I have many:)

• Funny Funny x 1