Brands Hatch GP Circuit 15th Aug

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by Ice Doc, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Was bought an own bike track day as a Christmas gift. Only have my 2017 blade (just put new rubber on it), never done a bike track day before. Feeling a bit nervous and praying for it to be dry. I’m fully expecting to be one of the slowest guys on one of the faster bikes..

Anyone taken out track day insurance before? I imagine it’ll be silly money on a £12k bike..

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Haven’t done it but I’d try BeMoto

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Just spoke with my insurer, MCE, and good news, I'm already covered for track days.. Bad news is the excess is 50% of the bike's value..
    I'm guessing there's no-one else on this forum that'll be at Brands Hatch next Thurs then?

4. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

I can't make it, but have fun out there! Best to sit in on the rider meeting, walk the track if you're allowed, ride at your own pace and slowly increase your pace as you feel comfortable.

5. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Thanks, will definitely be getting all the info / advice I can. I've no illusions of grandeur..

• Like Like x 1
  6. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll be allowed to walk the track but you'll get 2 or 3 sighting laps first time out in the novice group (which I assume you've gone for!) and you'll get a feel for which way it goes. Then you'll come back into the pits before going out again.

My advice if it's your first track day is to join the back of the group lining up in the pits before they go out in each session (i.e. don't be an eager beaver and get yourself right at the front), then you can cruise around at your own speed and not have to worry about people coming up behind you for a few laps. It's their job to overtake you safely, but not having them there immediately gives you some time to warm up into it.

Other bits of advice - your bike being a 2017 will look after you to some degree, but drop the pressures (32F, 30R is usual, but ask someone there on the day.

Also it takes the best part of a lap to get the tyres up to temperature so go easy round the corners until then - don't be afraid of using gas and brake though as that's what gets heat into them.

Here's the other big bit of advice - I know it's hard, but RELAX! And enjoy it :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Spygoat

..and whatever you do, do NOT go out with the intention of dragging a knee. I've done track days where my knee never threatened to hit the track surface. I've seen so many people on their first track day go out with that as their only goal..and have seen it fail miserably (binned it in a corner) more than a few times.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

I've done about 10-15 track days over the last 2 years and still not got a knee down! :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. Spygoat

Took me 2 years of track days to do it and it only happened because I backed it into a corner (waaaayyyy too fast) and had to lean further than I was comfortable to avoid a run off/wreck.

10. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Thanks for the advice, yes definitely going in the novice group, and very much like the idea of hanging around at the back of the queue.. I don't think I'm so worried about me going mad, just more concerned that another novice might do something stupid and wipe me out..

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Thanks, yes I was thinking I might not stick my knee sliders on. Will depend on the weather too I guess. If it's damp, then I imagine the maximum lean angle I'll get to is one that that famous tower in Pisa would be envious of (assuming the tower would like to be bolt upright of course).
    Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spygoat

Here, they space you out and marshals (along with on-track rider coaches spread out with the riders) watch the group. I am a rider coach and we usually patrol the session and if we someone getting too aggressive (especially in the novice class) we get in front of that rider, slow them down, and put them on our rear wheel until they get the idea that this is not a race. If they still don't get it when we take the tow hook off them, then we black flag them and have a talk with them. If it is obvious they don't belong in novice due to their skill, we bump them to inter/expert. if it is apparent they don't belong on a track, we send them home.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

In my mind I'm thinking that if I really enjoy the day, then I might look at buying a £3k dedicated track day bike (like an old CBR600RR, GSXR600 or R6). Then I might be looking to get a knee down. Don't fancy trashing my daily commuting machine!

14. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

I'm going to use my crystal ball and say you're going to be buying that bike :D This shit is addictive... :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Spygoat

I have a 2004 GSXR750 as my track bike. It's in pieces at the moment..one day it will be reassembled..lol

16. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Yikes - did you dismantle it in a controlled manner, or did a track / gravel trap dismantle it for you?!

17. Spygoat

I took it apart to change out engines and suspension. I got a great deal on the Attack Racing engine and suspension off a retired race bike.

Just got lazy.

18. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

I got a quote with BeMoto and it was about £130 for the day for mine. Think the excess was either £750 or £1000 and there are a few exclusions.

19. willb

willb Active Member

Best advice I got as a newbie on track was:
    1. Relax
    2. Ride at whatever pace you're comfortable with
    3. If someone is up your arse roll off on a bit of straight and let them past
    4. If you're gaining on or quicker than the rider in front and can't make an easy overtake, back off, give yourself room and get some free track in front of you

• Like Like x 1
  20. Spygoat

@willb , we tell our track riders (especially the new ones) not to worry about the riders behind them, only the ones in front of them.