Brrr!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pete H, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

I was bloody freezing riding in to work this morning.

Is it ok to put heated grips on a blade, or is that like towing a caravan with a Ferrari?

2. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Quite a few have them fitted Pete, it's all about being comfortable whilst riding at the end of the day.
    Big respect from me to anyone that's still riding daily as we go into the colder months. :)

3. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Got heated grips on my Blade, might even put em on the Track Bike yet! :rolleyes:

4. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Not had them on my blade but they where amazing when I fitted them to my Speed triple. Made it so much better being able to ride in summer gloves when cold

DO IT

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes Pete, you may fit them. It will not harsh your cool whatsoever.

(Lol)

• Like Like x 1
  6. just_me _and _me _bike

Went out yesterday, was dry but def gerring colder, fink maybe a longish winter this yr, bbbrrrrrrr

7. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

8. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Not sure about heated grips specially as the blades battery is so weedy!
    I ride all year round and my hands froze last winter!...has anyone used the Keis Gloves at all?
    Cheers

9. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Nutty Tart wears heated kit.

10. just_me _and _me _bike

Just get sum porridge oats down ya neck first thing, that'll keep ya warm, heated kit n grips r for poofs :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. The.kickboxer

The.kickboxer Active Member

The problem with heated grips is cold air at high speed chills the blood in the back of ur hands and grips only warm ur palms, The keis clothing is the way to go, had the gloves last winter. This year I got a sleeved jacket, fits perfectly under my Ixon leather jacket with a tee shirt underneath. All the wiring is inbuilt into the jacket to plug the gloves into at the cuffs. Had to upgrade to a 10amp fuse though. The safety of leathers while remaining toasty.

12. The.kickboxer

The.kickboxer Active Member

I take offense at that, I'm a 3rd dan Blackbelt in karate and Blackbelt in kickboxing, so i am hardly a poof. What I am though, is so fit I have only 8% bodyfat (less than Lindford Christie was in his prime). Those with a body more like a walrus probably wont be needing the heated stoof.

13. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

This is precisely what I found with the heated grips on my Ducati. My palms were toasty, but my knuckles were still frozen. Just like barbecue sausages.

14. just_me _and _me _bike

It was meant as a joke, no need to go karate kid on me dude!! :confused:

Im sure ur as lean as bruce lee was, however we need energy inside our bodies to keep us warm and since energy is derived from the food we eat, makes sense to eat summat that is gonna fill ya up, keep ya warm and has slow release of energy.

And good windproof kit is far better ( imo ) than overloading the bikes battery with numerous amounts of heated equipment that has to be plugged in, unplugged each time u ride.

I do alot of hill walking in all kinds of weather, no need for heated kit as whilst im walking, my body is burning energy from the food ive eaten, thus creating the heat i need to keep warm, aswell as good kit in the first place.

Motorcycle kit is good but its miles behind compared to hiking kit.

And im thin and def not a walrus:D

#14 just_me _and _me _bike, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I do have a body like a walrus, but I do have fingers with as much meat on them as an eagle's claw and ,feck me sideways, do they get cold winter riding. The rest of me is generally fine within my blubber, but my digits feel detached.

16. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

I have but not fitted yet a set of datatool heated grips to go on my bike, these I think are by far the cleanest setup for heated grips as there is only one wire going to each grip and everything else in built inside such as the temp adjuster on/off switch. No more struggling trying to find a location to stick the switch units with wire going everywhere.

These use less than 3amp(fuse rate fitted) so power usage shouldn't be an issue and switch on and off automatically when the bikes battery voltage goes above charging voltage and switches off when not ie engine not running!

• Like Like x 1
  17. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

I have heated grips, have done on every bike I have owned and now use a Kiess heated gillet which is lovely!!!!!!

18. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

When I finished my nightshift last night I found my bike with frost on the screen, not so bothered by the cold just whether the bikes going to fire up as I bet the battery starts to shiver at the merest temperature drop ..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

Well I think I may go ahead and fit some then, my commute isn't that long anymore but I just need something to take the edge off, plus I hate porridge.

I think the battery on my 06 has a bit more oomph than the current model so I may look into the heated clothing as well.

None of which would have helped me avoid getting drenched on trip home this evening mind :(

20. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Pete heated grips n clothing for keeping warm in the cold and waterproofs for the falling wet stuff simples! :D