Bumpy braking feel at low speed..anyone else?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by RR_mike, Apr 5, 2016.

1. RR_mike

RR_mike New Member

Hey guys,

This only happens once a while, but at very low speed coming to a stop the i feel a slight bumpyness. It's hard to describe properly, i've seen this issue mentioned on other online forums and people have tried swapping out brake pads, front wheel, bearings, possible heat spots etc. and nothing changed it. Has anyone else felt this? it's slight, but its there and enough to make you ask questions. It's kind of like the brake pads are going over small smooth bumps right before you come to a complete stop. It happened on my old 600rr as well. FYI it's a brand new 2015 blade with 3000km on it. So annoying since only happens once in a while.

Any input would be great, thanks fellas. - Mike

2. wilko88

wilko88 Active Member

Seeing this is only intermittent and only in the case of elimination, you could check your disc floaters are rotating, I think I'm right in saying that standard discs rotate and pro light expand is this right? Before you start please get some more advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

No problems noticed on my 2015 - 4500 miles on her now.

(touching wood and hoping this doesn't bring on any issues!)

Would make an issue of it with the dealer. Even if it only means they have a record of it in case it gets worse out of warranty.

4. RR_mike

RR_mike New Member

Yeah, i might mention it at the dealer, don't get me wrong, its very subtle, and i couldnt re-create the issue yesterday no matter how hard i tried, it's completely random and strange. Doesnt seem to hinder braking at all either. Oh well.

5. jack930

jack930 Active Member

Funny u mention this as i had the same feeling this sunday on mine 09 rr , as ive only just got the bike i assumed it was normal, it didn't reduce the breaking or make me feel worried,, just felt funny, to sum it up i would say it felt like early abs systems slight pulsing. and i didn't feel it all the time ? btw i dont have the abs fitted

6. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Knocking, Bumpiness etc on any Blade from MY12 onwards is a quirk of the Showa BPF Forks.

Annoying, but nowt to worry about.

It also occurs on the Gen 4 ZX10R's and all the GSXR's using these forks too.

I've had em all and they've all done it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

How is your headstock bearings for tightness?

Have you checked them? Regreased and adjustment should take place around every 7.5k miles.

Although you have read various posts throughout the web for possible sources, you don't say but have you actually checked them on your own bike?

8. Fudster

Fudster Active Member

I had the same issue with mine feels like there's grippy sections on the discs o_O, interesting to hear it may have been the forks though
    I checked everything (except the fork internals) Calipers, discs, bobbins, wheel bearings, head bearings, all bolts for correct tightness etc and nothing changed how they felt, mine got worse at high speed too
    I changed my discs for Brembo ones and this cured the problem .. plus they went nicely with the Brembo calipers I have fitted

9. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Doubt a 2015 Blade with 1800 miles on the clock would have fecked headstock bearings matey! ;)

10. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I 2nd this, my GSXR L1 did it and my 15 plate blade has the exact same knock when under braking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Spartan Andy

Spartan Andy Active Member

If you get the same knock/thump noise at low speed when going over sharp bumps, then it’s the Showa folks for sure.
    This is a known characteristic of the Showa folks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ravsta

Ravsta Active Member

That's odd. I have a 2015 blade but never experienced 'the knock' or bunpiness during low speed breaking. The only one time I had bunpiness in breaking was due to warped brake discs.

13. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I notice it when pulling up to a junction, mainly when the road surface isn't perfect. Doesn't happen all the time, can go a while before I notice it.

14. Ravsta

Ravsta Active Member

It just maybe the as Spartan Andy says. I'll keep an ear out on mine on Sunday. Although I might not hear anything over my CR-T exhaust!

15. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

I've had similar on both my blades and in both cases it's been crud stopping them float.

If you're feeling a pulsing coming back through a lever at slower speeds, a friend of mine had a similar issue on a newish bike and it was found that the discs were warped.

16. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

I've had this twice (On a 600RR). Both times it was the pads. First time I just put up with it. Started with the new pads, and ended when they got replaced 6 months later. The second time I took it back straight away. A different set of pads sorted it again.