Bungs/protection on 2017-19 Blade

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by dmc12, Nov 23, 2019.

1. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

What are the favoured bungs for a 17-19 Blade? Would normally go R&G but their options appear to be either drilling the fairing or adding 5kg and spending £200.

Anyone tried the powerbronze option?

And any tips on swing arm protectors / engine covers?

My default on engine covers would probably be GB racing but will depend on how much clearance the bungs end up adding and whether it’s worth it.

Also a semi-unrelated question - what does it take to get the mirrors off on one of these? Not just two 5mm Allen bolts like the old ones?!

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Eeeek! :eek::eek::eek:

Leave it alone. ;)

I think @PauloHRC has the GB covers. @Lozzy has recently used R & G swing arm protection with the assistance of @LRJimmy and his 'delete logo' infills.

I haven't read of anyone with crash bungs on a 17 - 19, but surely someone has?

What's the question about the mirrors? If you remove mirrors, you're also removing front indicators!!;)

3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Yeah I only ever use gb covers they look sweet and are a good product. R&G frame protectors like Paul as well.
    I'm not dissing the big bungs, in fact @LRJimmy has some on his tigger and they look ok with the paintwork. But I went to look at a 15 Repsol and it had those awful white ones on...looked nasty....drilled in too :confused: they lost the sale on those alone. So I'd go for the non drill if available for that model and you really want some :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I was wondering where they'd go cos there's few stable anchoring points:
    190414.jpg

and then I saw the R & G site which shows this:

R & G crash.jpg

5. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

That looks ok but I'd have to black out the logo I'm afraid

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

The issue with these non-drill R&G ones is (a) the terrifying price and (b) they’re heavy AF as you’re inserting metal blocks as well as the bungs in order to clear the fairing. I just handled the set at the NEC show and you might as well reinstall two lead batteries :eek::D

7. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

There is no denying the R&G ones are a sturdy piece once bolted together and yes they would be in the region of 5kg on the 12-16 model anyway. These are the only R&G logos i have on Tigger :)

C885F23B-20E0-41DC-AC1F-4A8243E0BC57.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Ooo didn't realise that :eek:
    Food for thought then...

9. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Bungs are not favoured at all....... If you're trying to protect your fairings and engine casings, I'd rather have GB racing covers and pair them with some Chinese fairings.

It's all personal preference of course but bungs can be more trouble than they're worth. They can bend and damage the frame or worse dig in and flip the bike if it were to slide down the road.

They're OK for low speed or stationary dropping of the bike but I really wouldn't bother ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. raphael

raphael Elite Member

I would recommend these from r & g and not as obvious as the posts.
    These have just been wedged Under a lorry and dragged down the road, so stood up well considering I think!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. bladerunner03

bladerunner03 Active Member

Another thumbs up for the GB racing covers here. They are not going to save the plastic but they will prevent the bike spilling its life blood on the road.
    First thing I fitted to the 17 after throwing the 13 down the road. :-( IMG_5226.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Just to 'accessorise' this thread further - how about tank pads on an SP? Both central ones for protection from zips and sidey grippy ones for your knees? I know Nigel doesn't like to besmirch the bike's looks in such a gauche way, but has anyone found a decent set that fits/works and doesn't look shit?

13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ah, I just love the way people are beginning to understand me!:D;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Simple answer to crash bungs... Don't crash :eek:

So far this year my bikes have been through 2 engine case protectors, 1 engine casing, 1 crash bung and 2 swing arm bobbins.
    That's not counting bars, bar ends, foot pegs, bent exhaust and damaged fairings. I've had cheaper years :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Aaargh! And of those protective accessories - which have done the most good for your bikes in those incidents?!

Found the Cadwell clip on YouTube - you held on a bloody long time!!

16. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Yeah they do help loads. Just chuck as much crash protection at the bike as possible because it will help limit the damage.
    The engine covers helped on all but one occasion when a mate lost the CB500 at Anglesey and the bike went over a curb on it's side, ripping the GB Racing engine cover off and cracking the case.

Funny thing with the Cadwell lowsider was that the bike was ahead of me as I held on. It's amazing how fast your brain thinks in a situation like that, but I had a choice to either hold on and get dragged down the road, or let go and watch the bike flip.So I held on, although if I let go then I may have flipped anyway

• Like Like x 3
  17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I can see that in a track situation especially, the few quid spent on protection must pay huge dividends in saving money in the event of misfortunes.

After all, isn't that what 'protection' is all about?;)

18. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Depends on which protection you're talking about :p

In my case it meant that my day didn't end and I could fix the bike with a hammer and spare footpeg :D

• Like Like x 1