Burn my eyes out its a Car Question for you?

Discussion in 'Non Bike Related' started by thezipsteruk, Jun 13, 2015.

1. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Ok 1000rr dwellers, as hard as it is to believe, I have a car question for you all.
    I have been running a clapped out old Xsara picasso for ever and I really need/fancy a new car of the AUTOMATIC kind.
    Due to an old bike injury I'm finding the manuals too hard on my left knee these days, I have a ridiculously low budget of around £1000 and need it to be strong and reliable for the old family camping trips.
    I am finding that you get a lot of Saab for the money (probably as they gone pop) and they seem to really soak up the miles with out flinching.
    I am going to look at this tomorrow...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161733577985?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am not a car man so would appreciate any help or info from any Saab owners or anyone in the know as to if its any good or points to look for?
    Thanks peeps

2. Sam Bird

Sam Bird New Member

Those turbo Saabs are like the old Audi 1.8 Turbos, the water pumps are very temperamental and if it goes and the engine overheats then the car is a write off as it needs a new turbo, water pump and head gasket which is a huge job and involves stripping the whole front of the car off to get to the parts, and then its half the engine stripped out to fix.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Muffking

Muffking God Like

nice motor. I thought these were from the shared partnership with vauxhall. should be cheap maintenance if it's a vectra in a posh frock :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. shackbleep

shackbleep New Member

It would be worth seeing if the turbo has ever been replaced. If it has - it should be a big job and in the service history the seller has.

If it hasn't... You may need to replace the turbo, which is a relatively big job.

Otherwise, great cars. I've had a 9-3 hot turbo and my dad has had two 9-5's. Apart from water pump/gasket/turbo work sometimes needed... And a thirst for petrol, they are great cars to own and drive. I'd recommend them.

5. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

I would not go near it. Very expensive to sort out when it goes wrong. Have a look at the Lexus LS range. Go for ever and very reliable. ( JD Power winner).
    Also automatic. I have had 2 with no problems.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. thezipsteruk

Thanks people.
    Went to view the car and way too many little things to sort.
    Decided it was best to back away from this one...last straw was when we could only test the car around an airfield with a 15mph limit!!
    I decided that wasn't much of a test for a turbo lol

7. coupe312

coupe312 Active Member

thought alot of saabs had renault and vaux parts in them????
    what about a older passat diesel??? cheap and last forever

8. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Not to worry, there's always more. Let us know how you get on as I love car shopping :D

9. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

Volvo v70? Paid a grand for mine about 6 years ago and it's been awesome. 2.4t with 200 bhp, loads of leather, heated seats, doubles up as a work van, and only the alternator given me any grief in 6 years.

#9 1000rr73, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Muffking

Muffking God Like

11. thezipsteruk

Thanks for all your help people, Ive decided that Im bored with car thing already, lol
    Cant do the volvo thing, they are so long....like a narrowboat!
    nothing local thats cheap so ill keep my eyes open.
    Thnx again tho

12. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

Might look long, but I think its only something like 40cm longer than my mk5 golf. Not trying to win you over but there is a perception they are massive when in reality they are not. Mind you, today I managed to get a whole 10x8 ft greenhouse in mine all squashed up to take it to the dump.

Good luck searching