Buying a 15 year old low mileage bike - what to look out for?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Sp0oner, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

I haven't asked yet but he looks quite out the way. I've offered my final offer so i'll wait and see plus from where I am a train is a right pain as i've got to go to London first then get across town and then a train up North so hell of a journey carrying leathers etc.

2. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Yeah definitely something i'd want to leave to someone who knows how to do it and is insured for it too! If it comes to it and hire car isn't the way to go i'll have to use a courier but I hate waiting :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

There's actually more flexibility if you just steal a car. No problem then with where and when you leave it!!:cool::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Even easier with a bike i'll already have my leathers on when I get there! From the non existent sentences handed out for bike theft i'm surprised it's not more rife than it is - the one who nicked my R1 and beat up a copper when he got caught 3 days later got a £250 fine and banned from driving for 2 years. I said to the police after the court hearing next time I want a new bike i'll go and nick one when I can get one for nothing or £250 at worst :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

As it turns out he won't accept my offer and got a bit funny over it and it's close to asking price so he can carry on dreaming and getting funny with other prospective buyers. He is asking top money and claiming its the best one out there when it's not had the best care - servicing it himself and not to the book and 5 year old brake and clutch fluid so basically needs a good thorough service at a minimum. He also showed me 2 photos of the marks on it and admittedly they are small but again it means the bike isn't perfect for top money.

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Sometimes it's hard to walk away. We have to remove emotion and think logically.

And I'm not talking about failed marriages.:D:D

7. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

I've got 2 of them myself o_O Yep i'm not paying above what I offered with how far away it is and what it needs doing it's just too much.

8. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Can we ask either what you offered, or what he’s asking for? Interested as to what is considered top money for a mint RR4 with low miles at the moment :)

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'd say anything over 4,500 - and that would have to be very good and not have marks on it. I paid 4300 12 months ago for a 5,000 miler.

10. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

I saw a clean RR7 go for £4500 on eBay today, 15k miles and needing a service. Prices seem reasonably buoyant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Not at the moment in case he comes back to me/had a bad day etc. I've not replied to his message so will leave it for now. It sounds like all previous owners did the servicing by the book but he decided not to and has just done oil changes himself and he has had it 6 years. I don't know him to trust his servicing so to me it's not got the care i'd want. So the bike might be worth what he wants but not to me because I don't trust people I don't know with servicing work. If he had a folder of paperwork/service stamps whilst in his care as well as previous owners then i'd have paid the money. Oh and he has just ended the ebay ad so either he has got the arse or someone has given him the asking price in the last hour.

12. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

I would pay £4300 for a minter and up to £5000, the blue/silver one on eBay keeps pulling me in but he won’t budge on £5000.

Spooner I had a few messages from the guy on eBay with the rr4, He didn’t come across as a nice chap so I walked

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Thanks Gary not just me he gives that impression to then. I keep looking for repsols but the rr5s and 6s currently about are all messed with and not in the best condition. If I found an original condition UK bike with just the end can replaced i’d be very interested but they also seem to be commanding big money for a 12-14 year old bike - one on ebay wanting a minimum of £5300 with a hideous dual exhaust race system on it. And the more I look the more I see bikes with frames in the same condition as mine with that mottling effect and have at times thought I wish I wasn’t selling mine now :rolleyes:

14. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Me and you looking for the same but to be honest I would rather get a good 954.Have some looking at my Daytona tonight so could be full steam ahead on another 1 or 2 bikes

15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I hope you remember you've got a shiny new SP2 to keep yourself occupied!:)

I've just picked up a van to deliver the red RS50 to Swindon today. I'll have to avoid all the bike shops on the way back!! (Swindon has heaps of them, including suspect 'budget' operators, one of whom I caught out misrepresenting a VFR400.:rolleyes:)

16. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

I have looked for 954s too but haven’t seen anything that I liked - there’s a red one ending today which I put on my watch list but not enquired about it. Also looking at 2006/7 ZX-10Rs in green but again can’t find the condition and mileage I want. That’s the only bike that would tempt me away from another blade just because i’ve always fancied one.

17. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

There was a decent looking (from memory) RR6 or 7 Repsol on eBay the last couple of weeks for £4500 - don’t know if this is clean enough for you (or if it’s still available)...
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173860590082

18. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Thanks, damn that’s local to me and ended :( I’d definitely have gone and looked at that but it looks like it was before mine sold.

19. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Been tempted to sell my RR7 HRC for a 1st gen zx10 myself. Absolute animal of a bike so I’ve read. There was an 07 in at wheels in Peterborough a couple of weeks ago. May still be there?

20. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Might be worth contacting the seller? It may not have actually sold...