Buying Honda 1000rr

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Elle198, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Elle198

Elle198 New Member

merry Christmas everyone and happy new year. Looking at buying a fire blade on a bit of a budget I’ve saw this on eBay and wanted some advice from u lot. It’s a Honda fire blade on a 04 plate with 56k on the clocks looks in nice condition on the pics and his only asking £2k for the bike. Does anyone on here know this bike thanks for any help fill Reg LL04FYK

Attached Files:

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Hi Elle and welcome.

I'm laughing here because I have that exact bike in my 'Recently viewed' file. You might have missed out because the listing's ended. Either sold or passed in at 2095.00, so not sure if it will be re-listed.

Putting that aside, I love the 04 and have one myself so please accept my comments without criticism. I would be hesitant about a 50,000-plus miler WITHOUT lengthy service history. 50-plus miles is fine if a bike has been well maintained, however, there ARE much lower mileage bikes available in the low to mid 3,000 quid region. Sorry for you if it is defo sold:(

Edited to say: have a look at this 2007 model: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Fi...m=254028336760&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Elle198

Elle198 New Member

Hi thanks for the reply I’ve spoke to the guy and he said I can have it haha but I just wanted some input as to what are Hondas good for with regards to the miles on them it’s a very cheap bike at £2k haha

4. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Hi doesnt apply to this one but my bit of advice would be avoid an abs version no matter what.

5. Elle198

Elle198 New Member

Hi thanks for the reply what model is the ABS model many thanks

6. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Think they only started with it as an option in 2008 so may be too expensive at that year for your budget but if ones offered as a bargain only consider if you’re up for removing the abs system - not expensive to do and saves a good few kilos but time consuming. There are threads on here on how to do it.

7. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

If it's not been looked after at that age & mileage, repairs and parts could end up costing you more than what you think you're saving. I had 50k on my last 11 plate and although it was looked after really well, there were still some expensive things coming up that would have needed doing.
    I agree with what Nigels said

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Elle198

Elle198 New Member

Nigel just spoke to the guy with this blade and these are the damages is this engine cover a easy repair mate

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Engine cover? Don't quite understand.

Are you referring to a side casing or side cover where indicated in yellow as if the bike has been dropped?
    Elle.jpg

10. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

lights the fuse and gently retreats

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Elle198

Elle198 New Member

Hi mate it’s been dropped on the left hand side it’s the engine casing scratched fairing and rear fairing cheers

12. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Hi Elle and welcome.......repeating what the others have said, avoid if it hasn't been well maintained!

Regarding the engine casing, fairing panels etc. .....all can be repaired but it's stacking up as a bit of a dog/lemon call it what you will.

Have a look in the bikes for sale thread on here.....some really good bikes that have been well looked after by loving owners, ahem ;):rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Okay Elle. (I have to ask- are you an 'Elle' as in female Elle, or a male? I'd feel wrong if I called you mate and you're a gal!;))

That's relatively straight forward for the DIY owner. Check Fowlers for parts:

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4817468/cbr1000rr4-2004-e-kmh/left-crankcase-cover

Link here shows you'll be up for 100.00-plus whatever gaskets and screws you might require. Fairing's another matter depending how handy you are with repairs and paint. See RS for paints: http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php

14. Elle198

Elle198 New Member

Hi I’m a male I’m ok with Diy Panels I could send him and get them done I’m just worried it will be a dog of a bike with the history of it. The red one with 56k miles is in a lot better condition it’s just the fact he don’t have history so it’s the reason I’m in a pickle

15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

And that's your problem. Some history is purposely 'lost' to hide things. Other times it just disappears with change of owners. However, the conscientious owners will invariably keep a file or log of everything they do - even DIY oil changes!

On the plus side, you can hardly go wrong with a 2 grand Blade. If it rides well and sounds well and that is your budget, well, snap it up. Remember though, when you come to sell it, most prospective purchasers will be asking the very same questions as you are now. All the best!!;)

16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

17. Elle198

Elle198 New Member

Good sign it hasn’t been sorn o the Rd for ages lol cheers mate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Elle198

Elle198 New Member

Hi everyone again just thought I’d update with buying a fire blade in the end I went a head with the 04 red one paid the money yesterday had it delivered this morning I’m not to sure about the mileage but it’s currently only showing 36k on the clocks but the bike is in mint condition I’ve got a service sheet where the previous owner spent £1500 on it. The only problem is the battery was flat when it arrived the guy started it I left it running till it reached temperature switched it of and dead again so later on I’m gonna swap batteries from my other bike does it sound like just a knackered battery to u lot cheers for ur help again

Attached Files:

19. D16PJM

D16PJM New Member

If you have a volt meter start the bike and see what voltage is showing at the battery, good way to see if it is a charging issue or battery issue.

Pete

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Elle198

Elle198 New Member

Hi Pete no I don’t have one is they another way u can tell mate cheeera