Cambridgeshire Newbie.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mk3golfcab, Feb 4, 2018.

1. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Hi all, my name is Liam and I’m from Cambridgeshire. Currently riding a street triple and looking to change to an rr4-7 shortly. Any advice on what to look for when looking for a bike? Common faults? Desirable colours/mods? Etc.

Thanks guys. Look forward to contributing to the forum!

2. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

My budget for a bike is around £5k

3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Hello and welcome, Liam.

Can't help with any tech info on the 04-07, sorry. I'm new to Blades and have a 2011. As general advice I'd try to verify mileage and have a good 'OCD look over it AND under it. You're bound to find a gem somewhere - but be prepared to travel!:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Welcome Liam,,,,I am sure there is a gem somewhere for your budget , if it doesn't seam right walk away there will
    Always be a better one or with lower miles, try to go for near standard unless the mods are tastefully done good luck and enjoy summer is around the corner.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Thanks guys. Been looking at a few but really want a very clean unmolestered bike so I can add my own touches. Don’t mind an aftermarket can and rear sets as long as original items are included. Not in any rush so won’t be buying anything just yet until it’s right. Had a TL1000R as my first bike and then a bandit before my dad bought me a street triple to use. Are there any big running costs I should be aware of? I’m a fair weather rider only and insurance is less than £300 a year (almost 30 with 6 years no claims). Is the reliability of hondas as good as the reputation?

6. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Hi & Welcome

Guy at work here always looks up the MoT details of cars before buying - you can see the advisories etc. and get an idea of what has been wrong; it'll also be useful to see if the seller is completely honest (assuming their are 'things' that show up of course!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Thanks Hitch, good tip that. I’ve been looking at this one
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-07-Ho...074209?hash=item44152d6b21:g:KegAAOSwn9VaX9ai

Tried to contact the owner but he hasn’t responded. I’ve checked the history and on one of the earlier mots there was an advisory for bent break lever. Could this indicate it has been up the road? Also there are a few breaks in the mot. Eg not had a mot test for a couple of occasions. In the past i didn’t always do a lot of miles a year but I always had my bike moted. Really hoping for some help on finding a good one!

Cheers

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

The eBay bike certainly looks good, although the original two-outlet silencer always appeals to me rather than the bulbous aftermarkets.

A bent lever is not too bad; the bike could have fallen while cleaning (clumsy, I know) or knocked a wall when wheeling out of a garage. A scraped one, however, is where you start looking VERY carefully at the bike. 22,000 miles isn't bad, but there are still many around the 15s. Another point is that any bike with extras, whether it be carbon or brake lines, means that the owner is prepared to spend good money on it, and by definition would be a caring owner. Check the Auto Trader site also - recently bought a gem off there.:)

9. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Hi and welcome.......for your 5k budget have you thought about an 08-09 model? There's a few out there with similar mileage to the one you're looking at. Might even get a lower mileage one for an extra £500!!

10. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Thanks guys. If anyone sees one let me know. I don’t mind travelling for the right bike. (Within reason).

I did think about a newer one but IMO I don’t really like the styling all that much. They do seem attractive with the price and what you get etc

11. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Just been on auto trader nice 08 plate hm plant BSB rep 12k miles at vertu Honda ......

12. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Do you have a link Wozza?

13. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Just found it. That’s a cracker that one!

14. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Looks good.....one of the best years for the blade in those colours.....

15. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Might have to seriously rethink now ;)

16. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

See.......there's another week or two scouring bike trader and eBay sorted!!

Good luck :)

17. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

You’re not wrong there! Thank you

18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

19. Fwsock

Fwsock Active Member

Welcome Liam, something else to consider seeing as you are in Cambs. Bca auctions in Peterborough have a bike sale twice a month and there are some proper bargains to be had. Lots of repos etc. Saw an 08 in good nick go for £3700 recently. Prices reflect the risk and you may need to spend some tlc on em but worth a consider if there’s a bargain to be had.

20. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

It's got me looking now.....while on auto trader I see they are doing the new sp for about 3.5k down 0% and 99 a month......I also noticed the last shape sp have bombed to around 10.5k ......decisions.....