Car license v Bike license.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by CharlieR85, Nov 5, 2021.

1. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Why do the bike categories protect young people from getting on high powered bikes but the car categories don't?

You can do a lot more damage in a high powered car compared to a bike. Cars are so ridiculously fast these days and with PCPs very accessible too. Before PCPs you were pretty much forced to work your way up with crap 2nd hand cars. Now every yobbo has 300hp+ German cars tearing round villages.

Bring it in-line with the bike categories, pass at 17 and you get a B2 until your license turns into a B at 24. B2 restricts you to 130bhp. :D

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. bladey

bladey Senior Member

B2 should restrict you to a Trabant.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I wouldn't worry about it. The cost of insurance will put them off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

You'd think it would but it doesn't, just another thing to pay on the drip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. T.C

T.C Elite Member

The bottom line comes down to the fact that more people drive cars than ride bikes, and so there are potentially more votes to be lost according to the mindset of those in Westminster.

When CBT was introduced in 1990, it was intended to be also introduced for car drivers within a couple of years. It never happened.

When the idea to retest drivers every 5 or 10 years (I was asked to be one of the examiners) someone mentioned votes being lost . It never happened

Power restrictions for new drivers (similar to riders) was discussed. It has never happened.

Whilst the Government (regardless of which side of the spectrum you are on) can introduce certain things like increases in VEL duty, fuel duty and make statements about banning the sale of internal combustion engine vehicles in the not too distant future, there are still many areas where those in power will not do anything as it is guaranteed to lose them votes and restricting car licences is one of them.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. warren smart

warren smart Active Member

For me it’s the performance of a motorcycle compared to a car per cost, to get a car anywhere near a bikes performance you are into serious money which most people can’t afford but motorcycles you can, £2000 upwards gets you big performance on a bike.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

That was part of my point though, very fast cars are much more accessible now with PCPs around. Young lads living at home with Mum don't mind spending £400 per month on a car and £250 a month on insurance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Yea I guess a lot of things boil down to politics.

9. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I just think lucky buggers. I had the luxury of high performance motorcycles when I was 18, don’t deprive them of the performance, enjoy it whilst you can.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I'm not a killjoy, I just always find young lads in high performance cars don't understand there's a time and a place. Rather than going off to open roads in the middle of nowhere they are happier thrashing round in built up areas. I probably need to move to a nicer area :rolleyes:.

#10 CharlieR85, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jez

Jez Senior Member

My sons insurance £4200 for the fiat slilo then £2600 for the R6, no convictions , you would get less for a criminal conviction

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

Sadly that’s the case.