Carbon fuel tank

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by FirebladeRR, Jun 26, 2017.

1. FirebladeRR

FirebladeRR Active Member

now lads. Been wondering if there would be any downsides to going carbon for the fuel tank. I know any sort of crash would mean it's gone bye bye but is there any reason this can't be a viable option? Deterioration? Anyone know? Cheers. Came across a fella who makes them for suzuki's and it got me thinking. I know I'm no racer or MotoGP rider but Would be amazing jizz factor.

2. Blix

Blix Active Member

Will Carbon Fibre not degrade with petrol, not sure myself but petrol and it's additives are quite nasty to some resins. Might need some sort of sealer or liner if that's the case.

3. FirebladeRR

That's wat I also heard. But this was 'professionally' made by ttsl In Germany which are a reputable Honda racing source. Hahaha

4. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I fly large model aeroplanes that either have petrol or jet A1 fuel. they are made in either fiberglass or kevlar, they last for many years or until crashed, So the resin would be fine from a person that knows what they are doing.

5. FirebladeRR

Thanks for the response fella. Tank was made in 2011 I believe so wondering how long before it will need another coat of the protective layer/resin?

6. si1000repsol

si1000repsol Well-Known Member

Personally, I would stick with aluminium.

Attached Files: