Cat B 600rr what’s it worth?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Naz, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Naz

Naz Active Member

I have a 16 plate 600rr with 2000 miles on the clock which was marked as a cat b only two months of buying it (Small finger sized dent in frame). It’s all in one piece after putting some spares parts on. Was thinking of using it for track but reality is I don’t have the time for track days so what are my options.

1) Keep it and let it collect dust
    2) break it for spares or
    3) sell complete but what’s it worth? Cause it can’t go back on the road?

Obviously any money made could be used for a new bike so it’s worth getting rid if a decent deposit can be raised.

What you guys think?

2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

That’s unlucky - you could approach @vic_ster51 to either see if he wants to buy it as it stands or get a straight frame off him and transplant it all across (depending on your talents). Stripping for spares and selling them is probably the most profitable route but its a lot of advertising and messing about if its not what you do day in day out

3. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Can I ask how it got the dent in the frame? Would affect what someone would want to pay for it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Naz

Naz Active Member

Thanks, I’ve actually got a brand new frame from Honda but re reg would mean a q plate. If I could get a frame with v5 I would re frame it. Your right about selling the parts it’s a long process selling bits advertising people messing you around posting people collecting

5. Naz

Naz Active Member

Thanks, I’ve actually got a brand new frame from Honda but re reg would mean a q plate. If I could get a frame with v5 I would re frame it. Your right about selling the parts it’s a long process selling bits advertising people messing you around posting people collecting

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Interesting scenario. I wonder if one can transfer from a Q plate to a private plate?

7. Naz

Naz Active Member

Got hit by a car pulling out of a side street, slow impact, hit my left leg, the car broke the panel not really sure the how the dent came about but I’m guessing the car crushed the panel and pushed it against the frame,

It’s a shame that it was made a cat b,

8. Naz

Naz Active Member

Yep Nigel checked that and the answer is No, unfortunately so annoying

9. Naz

Naz Active Member

It’s a shame how so many vehicles are deemed unfit for road use when the reality is the vehicle can be repaired without to much difficulty. There should be a system in place to check vehicles so they can be re categorised in certain situations

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get it back if it was a Cat B? It's technically ownership of the insurance company now, and can only be sold to an approved scrap dealer to sell the parts.

11. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

No that won’t happen - you’re not allowed to put a private plate on a vehicle if it will suggest a younger year than its original registration date or in an attempt to obscure its q plate history

12. Naz

Naz Active Member

Not sure your right with the ownership bit, but i do know what you mean as from past experience a lot of companies would not sell the vehicle back if it was cat b and recover it themselves

I rode the bike home after the accident and arranged for the dealership where the assessor came to view it, to drop it back to me. Because the bike was in my possession i requested to buy it back on settlement which was done very quick.

That made the issue of asking for the bike to be re categorised as a cat c or s I think it’s now known harder, as far as they were concerned you’ve had the full value back so we’re not doing any more work

13. Naz

Naz Active Member

And that’s what I thought I could do ‘obscure the ‘Q’

14. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Ahh ok you might have had a stroke of luck then. As Cat B Frames should only be sold to approved salvage dealers. Which can then sell it on to you, however the Frame belongs to the third party (Salvagers)

https://www.copart.co.uk/Content/UK/EN/Support/Services/Category-B-Vehicles

15. Naz

Naz Active Member

So you think the key would be to not let anyone recover your bike or have it taken back to your nominated place and let the assessor come to you to avoid the bike being wrecked further at a salvage yard and to have more leverage to buy it back?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Yeah I think that must be the best way to do it for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Naz

Naz Active Member

So what you guys think. If a bike on a 16 plate with 2000 on clock, let’s say all damage repaired minus the frame ding, cat b (remember dvla invalidate the v5 as if the reg number doesn’t exist) must be worth around the 2-3k mark, obviously a price is subjective to condition / value of individual parts, what a bike can be used for etc

18. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Yes it still has value as a track bike is the frame is *straight* (ding won’t matter massively if it is) - and I would put that value at 2-3k.

I can only imagine though that if it is cat b then the assessor thought the frame damage was serious enough that it either wasn’t straight, or was the damage meant it was weakened somehow? And in either of those situations I wouldn’t massively fancy it on track...

Have you got pics of the damage?

19. Naz

Naz Active Member

Yes I’ve got pictures to show if I decide to sell it I kept them for insurance purposes. Remember it was a 2 month old bike and most items were marked one way or another. The mechanic at the dealers who the bike went to said the assessor didn’t even look at it properly. But that would mean nothing to someone viewing cause it would be a trust issue with what you say

20. red5

red5 Well-Known Member

Is it for sale then fella.