CBR1000RR 2011 Valve Clearance

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by TheMickster, Jun 17, 2020.

1. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

Hi All

I'm going to check the valve clearance on my blade while I've got a few other bit's to do.

I just want to check with anyone that's done it before about backing off the tension on the CCT.

The first step in the manual for says to back off the tension before checking the clearances. I just though this sounded a bit dodgy removing tension before you manually turn the crank and check them. I've done them on my zx-7r (which has the same type of CCT and it didn't mention anything similar in the manual for that)

I can understand backing it off/removing it if you have to takes the cams out to re-shim as the CCT is on a ratchet, and it could ratchet out and be wrong for when you put the cams back in.

Has anyone checked them on the blade and can you just turn it over and get the cam lobes in the correct position to check them without touching messing with the CCT or is there a specific reason to back it off?

Cheers
    Mike

2. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Not done them on a 2011 but have done earlier blades and did not back off the tensioner until I removed the cams
    I would remove the spark plugs though makes it much easier to turn over

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Grooveski

Grooveski Active Member

That's what I'll be doing in the future as well.
    First time I done them I followed the steps in the manual and took the tensioner out first. Could see when checking the gaps though that the chain was about to jump teeth so was poking a finger into the tensioner hole to hold the blade while cranking the engine over.

4. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

Cool, cheers didn’t think it sounded right, wonder if the manual is printed wrong. When you read the section on cam removal it’s the other way round and says to turn it over and align the marks first and then back off the tensioner.

5. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

Doesn't sound right to me. I cant see the benefit at all. Would be very weary of turning the engine over with no tension on the chain.