CBR1000RR 2020

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Jack Taylor, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Jack Taylor

Jack Taylor New Member

Hi All,

R&G Racing are looking to borrow a 2020 CBR1000RR to continue product development on the latest model. We are located in Hampshire and are able to pick up and return the bike anywhere in the UK.

Any bike borrowed will be fully insured and will be returned fully kitted out with R&G goodies free of charge. Please feel free to contact me if you have a 2020 CBR1000RR or know someone who does!

Thank you
    Jack!

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Paul Longstaff

Paul Longstaff Senior Member

If you can afford a new 2020 model you can afford to buy your R&G goodies so why not ask them to donate some 2017 to 2019 cbr goodies instead and that way they can be shared out on this forum to the likes of me.
    Just saying ....that's all :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Maad

Maad Active Member

Hey Jack!
    I'm on the list for the 2020 SP model.
    A few questions though:

- Although the bike will be fully insured, what sort of tests take place?
    - How long would you/they need to hold onto the bike?
    - Any sort of contract to know if this is legit?
    - Any loan bike provided during this time?

Obviously can PM me if needed but would be handy to share this information on here as there are definitely a few others who have orders on them around the forum ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jack Taylor

Jack Taylor New Member

Hi Maad,

I will send you a PM!

To answer your questions for any other users that may be interested:

- Your bike will be given to our expert engineers who will first evaluate to see if there is any previous model crossover. For products that do not crossover we will use 3D scanners to measure and develop prototypes. Of course all prototypes will be test fitted to the bike to ensure perfect fitment.
    - The time we need to develop new products varies depending on the complexity of the design but of course we will be as flexible as possible to ensure we don't deprive you of your new machine for too long!
    - Bikes are always picked up in our R&G branded vans and we have documents in place that must be completed when borrowing any bike.
    - Unfortunately we will not be able to offer a loan bike but as I mentioned our turn around time will be as fast as possible.

Thanks,
    Jack

5. Jack Taylor

Jack Taylor New Member

Hi Paul,

Everyone enjoys a freebie;)

Thanks,
    Jack

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maad

Maad Active Member

I guess the main worry/question is, are they crash tested?
    I assume not but can't be too careful! Better to have a solid answer.

I see you mentioned it won't be for too long and turnaround time to be as fast as possible. Historically, has this been a couple of weeks or can this stretch into a few months? Especially as the summer is fast approaching, no one wants to be without the bike for most of it!
    Also, R&G offer drill through fairing crash protectors on some models. If someone were to lend you guys a bike, I'd take it this doesn't happen without prior approval of the owner?

Another thing is that how can we trust this is all actually from R&G? If we contact them ourselves, is there any reference we can provide to verify?

7. Jack Taylor

Jack Taylor New Member

Hi Maad,

Thank you again for your reply.

No your bike will not be crash tested or even ridden (much to the disappointment of our engineers I am sure). Normally we aim to turn around bikes within a week but this does depend on the complexity of the design. We always work with the owner of the machine to make sure we don't keep the bikes for longer than absolutely necessary. We will not make any changes to the bike without the consent of the owner.

I have passed your email on to one of our team who will be in contact with you on Monday!

Thanks,

Jack

8. Maad

Maad Active Member

Haha! I bet they'd love to ride them!
    Glad to hear you've seen my email. Validates this is genuine for anyone else interested (@nigelrb ?)
    I'll keep an eye out for the next update!
    Cheers!

9. R.M

R.M Member

If the bikes aren't crash tested, then how do you know that the R&G crash protection will work in an accident situation?
    I have R&G crash bungs on my blade, and I would have hoped that someone would have used a guinea pig bike to verify that these work in case of slide/fall/crash etc.
    Just playing devils advocate here!

10. cbrbadboy

cbrbadboy New Member

Well, you don't need to crash a bike to verify that Glass Fibered Nylon delaminates as expected. There are many ways to test or simulate that.

On top of that, every crash is different. I wouldn't expect any protection to protect the bike past certain impact speeds.

11. Mr_Chin_LK

Mr_Chin_LK Well-Known Member

If I had one, I'd have lent it for this. Doubt very much they'll be testing out whether the bungs work, it's probably more to do with design of non cut fairing brackets for them. When my cousin bought his brand new GSXR750, he had the same offer with HEL, who used his bike just for the braided line lengths. Got his bike back with a new set uncharged for, in his chosen colour. With this deal though, I suspect it's coming back with bungs, rad guards, fork and swing arm protectors et al? Fully R&G loaded. No brainer for me, but then I'm a live for today kind of guy!
    Just my ten pence worth.

Chin

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Jack, may seem a little pedantic this post but I don’t mean it as such.

As a consumer I would like to use R+G products; they are a staple of good quality. The only thing that puts me off is the over excessive (in my opinion) branding on every product.

Is this something you can limit in future designs?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mr_Chin_LK

Agree, first thing I took off of my engine casing and rad covers was the R&G branding!

I wouldn't mind them if they were smaller. I think they'll need to keep a branding so's to differentiate from the Chinese tat (like, me, Mr Chin)

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. Maad

Maad Active Member

Agreed, already PM'd Jack. Looks like a pretty good opportunity to me! Especially as I buy R&G anyway!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mr_Chin_LK

No brainer for me, but I'm brainless anyway!

Chin

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. RC45

RC45 Active Member

My thoughts on companies borrowing bikes for free to design products to then sell at a PROFIT to the market place is a piss poor practice that needs to stop.

If YOU are going to profit from selling the product then buy the fuggen bike yourself and make your pattern and then sell the bike, at a loss if need be - that is the COST of doing business.

The buying public don't get a break when we by the bike - hey Mr Honda can I borrow the bike to use for a while then send it back? I'll tell everyone how nice the bike was.
    And when we sell the bike we take a hit in our pocket. No reason for for profit businesses to get a free ride. You gotta pay to play.

And as for crash testing, you better be crash testing the product to verify it actually works as advertised.

By the way,I bet you don't give away your 3D models and drawings to people that ask.

#16 RC45, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Good point that @RC45!

18. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Yeah - R&G is an 8 million pound sterling revenue per year company.

They can damn well afford to buy their own bikes to pattern parts on.

Or in their own words:

"2019 marks a special year for us here at R&G as we celebrate 20 years in business! To mark the anniversary, we will be hosting a number of events during the year, including an exclusive trackday (TBA), as well as some special celebrations at selected rounds of the Bennetts British Superbike Championship!

Since launching in 1999, we've continuously developed and pioneered crash protection for motorcycles in the U.K and beyond. Expanding year on year, we signed our first international distributor in 2002 and by 2004 turnover had reached £1M. Now in our 21st year of business, we've reached a 70:30 export/domestic sales ratio, are distributed in 56 countries and have an annual turnover approaching £8M!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Still can’t afford to buy their own bike and lose a bit on resale though :rolleyes: o_O

20. RC45

RC45 Active Member

You think they would lend me their 3D CAD files so I can do a little product development off their hard work? I will give them a free copy of what ever I make.

I mean with the 3D CAD files they have for the SC77, think of all the custom parts I could design and prototype on my 3D printer for my bike ;)

Who knows, maybe they will share the 3D files and prove me wrong?

:);)