CBR1000RR4 Overheating

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Bantastic, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

So I just went to have my first proper look.

Took the fairings off and nothing was immediately obvious as the problem, radiator didn't have a gaping hole or anything. Opened up the radiator and poured some water in and heard water coming out fairly rapidly.

I looked under the bike and was greeted with this:

[​IMG]

A nice clear green trickle, no sludge, no muck, just coolant.

So i poured some more water through and found the hose it was coming from:

[​IMG]

The exhaust system is an aftermarket one, and obviously wasn't installed with the correct guards or whatnot as the hose is completely melted through.

I gave it a very quick start up (10 seconds or so) just to see how it sounded, and it sounded absolutely fine.

I'm going to try and find that hose from somewhere, make sure everywhere else is sealed up, check oil etc and then start it again and see if I got away with it this time.

If I have, I'll feel bloody lucky and know never to be so stupid again!

• Like Like x 1
  2. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well at least you found the issue nice one, hope it's all ok when you retest. Which hose is it as think I have a couple going?

3. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Fingers crossed. I'd be tempted to swap the oil and filter whilst you're at it.

4. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

You'll be lucky mate if it ain't warped the head. Here's hoping though.

5. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

Ah great, thanks! I will have a look in the morning and try and get some photos of the hose and where it sat to try and work out which one in particular and go from there if that's ok?

Yeah I was 100% going to do the oil, makes sense to do the filter as well I guess!

Well, I guess I can only hope! Short of taking the engine to bits, is there a way of knowing, or will the bike let me know fairly rapidly?

6. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

A quick story for you!

Mate of mine had a 900 Hornet, he wanted to paint the lower yoke etc, so he removes all the rad etc and does just that ( think he wanted to paint the rad too ) day later rides off to work some twenty miles away, bike seizes up! Brings it too me and sure enought it's rock solid! Coolant cap off to drain it all down etc and no water at all, turns out when he replaced the rad as part of the job he pored all the water into the expansion bottle! Not a drop into the rad cap under the tank! I removed the head and could just about push the pistons down, few turns later and some oil we got it all moving, head back on and fired up first push of the button, engine sounded fine!! After a ride for some reason unknown to me that bike went like a rocket! Now I would never believe that you could do that to a motor and it sound fine! Just shows you, you never know what your buying! Or maybe those Honda's are stronger than you think, oh and yeah, if some poor sod got that bike I feel for them, don't know what happened to it inn he end!

7. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

I hope for the best. for you. I too have seen engines that have been abused in different ways, including getting too hot, rise from the ashes so to speak. But I have to say one of the things that does upset them is getting too hot. But from reading the tale of events, I have a sneaky feeling you may just get away with it. I would wind it over a few times before starting it, just to get the oil round. Good Luck.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Yeah that's fine take some pics, I have a few of those that came with the engine that went in my bike. I put blue silicon hoses on so never used them

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

I once had a VFR400 NC30 that had no coolant whatsoever in and was in my garage waiting for me to pass my test. Some scumbag nicked it, and it was found about 10 miles away. Took it to a garage who gave it a once over and it was absolutely fine, so fingers crossed this time too!

10. Tezza H

Tezza H Active Member

Good luck buddy, lets hope its a quick fix and the bike is ok, I'm gonna go and check my hoses :)

11. Dave

Dave Member

Same as other guys have said, hopefully all will be ok when you fire it up.;)

12. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

I have a set of hoses but off a 06 I don't know if the same or not ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Sounds like you might have got away it, lucky man.

I'd be tempted to replace all the hoses for the cooling system just to be on the safe side :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. wedgiewolves#223

I have a full set I removed from a 2000 mile rr6 Id any good

15. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Pretty certain the hoses are the same from 04-07.

16. wedgiewolves#223

Cheers buddy

17. kev.b

kev.b Well-Known Member

The coolant hoses are diffrent 0n the 04/05 to the 06/07 fireblades so is the rad .

• Like Like x 1
  18. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Hows this?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

Cheers guys, but Lambchops has sorted me out (Thank you very much!)

I did have a look under the bike (really should get a bike lift) and every other hose seems to be fine.