CBR1000RR4 Overheating

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Bantastic, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Nice one Chops!
    Mike.

2. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well we are like one big family here right :)

If my old spare shite can help someone out then..

• Like Like x 2
  3. bloomer248

bloomer248 New Member

dont know how your getting on but ill give you a quick few tips how to tell if the head gasket is gone,
    when you have the bike filled with fresh coolant comletely, from cold start the bike, make sure the cap is on the rad. let it idle for 30 secs and slightly rev the bike, while doing this feel one of the rubber coolant hoses, you should feel a slight build up off pressure due to the water pump circulating, BUT if you feel a severe change in pressure inside the rubber hose this signifys a head gasket which is gone.
    you will feel a slight pressure chamge while revving the bike under normal conditions, this is fine. but if the gasket is gone you will feel quite a changein pressure. so hopefully your in luck and got away with it

4. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

Thanks for the advice. I have coolant, new oil and an oil filter sat in garage, if the hose turns up tomorrow/saturday morning (do you get post on a saturday?) then I shall be putting it all back together then.

Fingers crossed!

And help it out it will! Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

Decided to change the oil today, started it up to warm the oil a little and it really didn't sound great, very "chugging" sort of sound. Hoping it's just because it's cold and it's been sat a while.

Drained the oil but couldn't get the filter off ( I think Arnie may have put it on) and I didn't have any grips so haven't been able to top it up and check how it's running yet.

6. Muffking

Muffking God Like

You not got a hammer and screwdriver? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Was posted Thurday evening did it not arrive Saturday? Bloody rubbish if not!

8. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Not a Fan of this method as most Oil Filters today are made of thinner metals and wacking a screwdriver in and twisting can often just rip open the casing without unscrewing the base.
    Just makes a feckin mess and gets ya no where fast.

Ya best off investing in an adjustable Strap Wrench like this.

[​IMG]

9. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Don't like a chugging sound, perhaps compression related. But the good news it's running. Did it start willingly?

10. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

That is the method I went for in the end!

PM'd you!

That's what I was worried of, but luckily it panned out ok in the end!

It started first time, no issue at all.

But, and it's a big but. I switched out the oil and oil filter and tried to start it again, but it wouldn't go. It was turning over, just wouldn't actually go.

Left it ten minutes and tried again, nearly started but wouldn't and was making some rather worrying noises. No banging, but some "pops" would be the best way to describe the noise.

Starting to think I might have fooked it good and proper.

11. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

Sounds like it's flooded because of too many cold starts and not getting up to temp...........so I,m told and I have no proof of this but I think that if you hold the throttle full open, switch ignition on, let it prime and spine it over it will clear the bores without injecting fuel.........I have tried it in the past and seems to work but then it could have been a fluke

12. thefirebloke

thefirebloke Elite Member

Like I've said earlier Bantastic, take it to a garage and have it checked over. You could do further damage messing with it! :)

13. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

That actually seemed to work, thanks!

I know I know, but with christmas and holidays booked, my bank account is looking bare.

I just gave the battery a charge and had another go, and it kicked into life after a bit of persuasion.

It sounds pretty good, but something doesn't quite sound all the ticket, there a noise coming which reminds me of when my ZX6R needed it's shims doing.

It wasn't awful and it may have even been like that before (I'm obviously looking for funny noises at the moment).

I did have a bit of a scare when a lot of smoke was appearing from round the engine. Luckily when I looked it was just from some oil that had dripped onto the headers!

14. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

Just an update.

I've been out on the bike since and it seems to be running absolutely fine. No funny noises or anything.

The only issue is it is getting too hot. Riding on the motorway and it's sticking at around 90-95 degrees. When I'm not moving it gets up to over 100.

Any ideas why this might be?

15. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

My 06 runs at about 85 deg at about 80/90 mph motorway , but if I get stuck in traffic she,ll rise to 100 deg quickly and then at about 104/5 the fans come in and the temp will drop back to about 90 again, once clear of traffic the temp will drop back to 85 deg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

Ok, thanks. Maybe it isn't as bad as I thought, I just don't recall it getting that hot before the pipes burst. The fan kicks in and brings it down, but just seems to be getting a bit too hot. Even with the fan on it wasn't dropping much when parked up.

17. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Just check the coolant level again may need a top up as had a slight air lock when you filled it. Glad she seems ok right result!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

Ok ta, I'll check later and see if it needs a top up. Thanks, I'm a bit relieved too!

19. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Great news, make sure the top up is without air trapped, good quality antifreeze and you are good for another 100,000. If your engine is getting too hot it's losing coolant, it can't get too hot if the coolant stays in. I'm really happy for you. Lucky Bu$$er.

Mike.

20. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

Maybe I didn't get away so lightly then! I topped the coolant up but it's still getting very hot!