CBR1000RR4 Overheating

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Bantastic, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Have you went through all the squeezing hoses, tapping and reving with the rad cap off Etc that re-filling with coolant entails? and is it still loosing water?
    Mike

2. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

I haven't tried that no, I will give that a go! It isn't losing any I don't think, it just wasn't fully filled the first time. When I filled it to the brim yesterday I only added maybe 200-300ml.

3. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

If it isn't loosing water it can't be getting too hot ... They are plenty of threads on here that will walk you through the filling from empty scenario, It's worth following the advice and making sure your coolant is correctly filled. With no air locks.
    Mike.

4. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Make sure you purge all the air out the system.

Do this be leaving the rad cap off and reving the engine. Give the hoses a squeeze too just to help things along a bit. Check the coolant level in the rad and top up if necessary.

Have you mixed the coolant properly with distilled water, 50-50 mix. Which coolant you using?

5. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

I'll hunt them down! Cheers!

I bought the ready mixed stuff, just the halfords stuff. To be honest I assumed coolant was coolant so just bought the first Silicate free one I found.

6. Tezza H

Tezza H Active Member

Would it be worth draining the system and getting a lower temp thermostat, I think the HRC one opens at 62 degrees, I use Silkolene Pro Cool Coolant, It might be worth ago.

7. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

So, the bike is no longer getting overly hot (yay). BUT I had the same original issue, the hose melted through, I wrapped it in heat resistant tape but there is obviously something wrong with the configuration of the hoses.

I've just ordered a full set of silicon hoses, and would rather these weren't melted too! Does anyone have a photo of the layout of the hoses for the rad?

8. Dave

Dave Member

Just a quick side note, my sons RR5 was always running what i would say was to hot, 105ish. We bought a new radiator and now it runs at 85-95. The cooling fins on the old rad had all turned to dust so the cooling efficiency was limited.

9. graham58

graham58 Member

Had an overheating problem few years ago with a blackbird tried all the usual things the radiator looked ok but when I eventually took it off on close inspection it was knackered had it recored was ok after that

10. Bantastic

Bantastic New Member

Overheating problem seems to have gone now but I'll check that in the future. At the moment the radiator looks as though it has had better days, but still up to the task.

Bought myself a set of silicone hoses and am going to try and mess with the configuration slightly to prevent any rubbing on the exhaust.