Chain jumping after Swingarm replacement?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by JohnCar, Jul 6, 2019.

1. JohnCar

JohnCar New Member

Hi,

I recently replaced the swingarm on my 929 after a small off which dented my previous swingarm.

After installing new swingarm my chain is no longer running smooth and straight it doesn't sound right and is jumping. I thought I transferred any spacers from old swingarm into new one but maybe I made a mistake- would a missing spacer cause my chain to not run true?

I believe there were two spacers on the inside of the swingarm one long one short- none on outside, but then I saw a photo on ebay and there is a spacer on the outside of swingarm (see pic)

Can someone tell me what spacers are required on a 929 swingarm? Not the bearings etc just the spacers. Does a 929 swingarm have spacers(collars) on both inside and out? (Nothing in the Haynes manual re spacers on outside)

At present I have spacers on the inside of swingarm and none on outside just the swingarm pivot bolt and nut just tightened up against dust seals is this correct?

On this link to parts diagram there are no outside swingarm spacers, Parts 11+12 are inside spacers/collars one short one long but in Haynes manual both are long (see pic) Also bit confused about Part 10?

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2001-honda-cbr929rr/o/m2074#sch88996

Would it be possible for someone with a 929 to measure the distance across the swingarm from hex to hex then I might know if it is the spacers or something else? Thanks any info appreciated

Attached Files:

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. JohnCar

JohnCar New Member

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Hi John.

The chain and sprockets themselves will not make the chain 'jump' - provided you have installed the complete set. The term 'Race Gearing' which you might not understand means the sprocket sizes are different from the original which is 16 front 42 rear. This will give the effect of quicker acceleration with a lower top speed. [The term 'race gearing' is a bit of a misnomer, as different circuits will require different gearing]

If you look from the rear end of your bike you might notice the misalignment by the chain 'clicking' on to the sprocket from one side more than the other. Have you double-checked your rear wheel spacers? ;)

5. JohnCar

JohnCar New Member

Thanks for the info the BikeBandit diagram is same as the Fowlers, thanks would be helpful if you could give me that measurement

So the swingarm definitely doesn't have a spacer on the outside re ebay photo?

I'm stumped I cant think what I've done to make the chain jump, I just transferred any spacers/collars from the old swingarm onto the new one and installed it- it's a secondhand swingarm so maybe it's bent?

All rear wheel spacers installed correctly? Will have to remove swingarm and have a look, will upload photos if I see anything not right Thanks

6. JohnCar

JohnCar New Member

On Fowlers rear wheel diagram the no8 distance collar will have to make sure that's correctly installed clutching at straws

7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

The measurement is bang on 360 mm hex to hex.

8. JohnCar

JohnCar New Member

Thanks for getting that measurement for me will see what my bike is and let you know (won't be back home for couple of days) Cheers

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. JohnCar

JohnCar New Member

I got 355mm but think it's close enough to say I think the swingarm is on correctly Did a bit of research and some say the jumping chain could be a sticky link or not enough lube? Anyone agree?

This was my first time putting on a chain and it was a bit of a nightmare getting the link connected think I did it right but not sure?

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

All the links on a new chain should pivot freely. The only concern would be if you riveted the joiner too tight. the consequence would be that it would try to jump or skip, especially at the front sprocket. That should be easy to identify though, because it would be just a pair of rhythmical clunks as it hits each sprocket.

I hope we can assume that the chain is the correct pitch for the sprockets purchased?

11. JohnCar

JohnCar New Member

I may have done the joiner too tight if so how can I identify this and can I fix it? Could I just take the too tight link out and bin it?

Pitch- the chain and sprockets were bought as a set for the 929
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My bike has 19000mls up should I have replaced the cushion drive? Would worn drives cause issues with a new chain and sprockets? Thanks