Chain & sprocket recommendations??

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Abb, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Abb

Abb Active Member

I haven't been very active on here of recent, however I still have the blade and although its barely been used due to me working overseas, I noticed when I took it for the MOT, the chain was very slack.
    Asked them to adjust it, although it passed with flying colours and much to my surprise they have said it requires a new chain and sprocket!
    Bike only has around 3500 miles under its belt. I have no issues with replacing them, just wanted to know which ones people recommend from experience.
    Once these have been changed out, I will be getting the bike set up properly to get the most out of it, as the previous owner had it set up for him and he is some 3 stone heavier and about 5" taller :D

2. levin

levin Active Member

DID X ring chain and supersprox sprockets

3. levin

levin Active Member

Surprised they need to be changed after only 3500 miles , are the rollers seized on the chain from lack of use , my blade has 8k kilometres and still on original running gear

4. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Was it a main dealer who mot'd it? Probably havent a lot of work on and just trying to get you to spend money with them, if the links move freely and the sprocket isn't hooked over or rusting it's probably fine! Post a pic up of them chain and sprocket

5. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Was it a main dealer who mot'd it? Probably havent a lot of work on and just trying to get you to spend money with them, if the links move freely and the sprocket isn't hooked over or rusting it's probably fine! Post a pic up of them chain and sprocket

6. Abb

Abb Active Member

Thanks for your replies gents. I am currently in Ghana with work commitments, so will post up a pic later in the week when I am back in the UK. TBH it did strike me as a little odd, as the bikes (unashamedly) has been used very little since I bought it, due to working overseas.
    The chain however is very slack, probably a good inch in play on it, but moves freely and not stuck/rusty anywhere at all.
    Thanks again.

7. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

What does the chain indicator say ... is it in the Red?

8. Jez

Jez Senior Member

As a side issue I would recommend wurth dry chain lube, it does not get all over your wheels and although I don't do many miles at 5k still on original most people like it

• Like Like x 1
  9. Abb

Abb Active Member

Embarrassingly I don't know where to check. I didn't know of such a thing TBH, would you be so kind to point my in the right direction?

10. Abb

Abb Active Member

Thanks Jez, this is exactly what I used, as recommended on this forum.

11. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

There is a sticker on your swingarm mate, next to the rear sprocket. Its sorta of a indicator if your chain is going slack. You need to tighten the chain before you can use this indicator, as you are measuring with the adjuster block.

Let me see if i can find a picture for you.

Here.

chain.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

I think that Honda recommend 35mm chain slack - so sounds about right. Maybe yours has been run too tight?

As above, there is no way the standard chain and sprockets should need replacing at that mileage. I am on my fourth Blade and swap chain / sprockets every 10000 miles (over cautious - don't really need doing at that).

• Thanks Thanks x 1