change of colour?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Leeb, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

Looking at what I thought was a stunning 2010 blade at a dealer. It's the black one, silver frame with gold wheels.

All looks good, except I've just done a hpi check on it & has come as as 'previously painted orange'?

I'm confused, did they even come in orange? I know there was a silver/orange and repsol, but didn't they have the black frame and swing arm? I can see why you might change tank, and fairings etc, but not the frame and swing arm.

2. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

Actually, just seen the 2010 Repsol did have the silver frame.

Still doesn't really explain why the tank, fairings and wheels have been changed?

3. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Could be that it's been down the road; or simply that the previous owner fancied the change.

Can you get hold of the previous owner from the V5?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Agree with Hitch; try the previous owner. Also, a good dealer should have enquired about the history if it looks non-standard.

If it looks like this, you will have a great bike:
    Honda CBR1000 10.jpg

5. raphael

raphael Elite Member

I have changed fairings on my bike in the past as just fancied a change
    Easy and cheap to do on the blades now days as it’s only a cover over the tank as to a complete tank.

6. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

Yep, that's exactly the one.

I asked the dealer, he was aware of it, but didn't know why. I found it a bit odd, the fact that's it's changed doesn't bother me, but if you don't know why, then it makes it very hard to then sell on again.

7. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

Was the bike black originally? The owner might have fitted a Repsol bodykit and registered it with DVLA. At a later date they may have put it back to standard and registered it as black.

I bought a virtually new Black RR-C as it was cheap and fitted it with a new HRC bodykit the same day (and registered it with DVLA as white)

8. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

Best thing to do would be to ask to see under the seat cowl where there’ll be a factory sticker with the original paint codes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Of course. Most obvious, although none of us (including myself) thought of it!!:rolleyes:

10. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

I've been back to the dealer today to have another 'proper' look over the bike and speak to him about the previous colour.

They are aware of the colour change obviously, but don't know why themselves, although they are positive it's nothing to worry about as they wouldn't of bought the bike in the first place.

I looked under the seat cowl but couldn't find a sticker with paint code.

They are a very reputable main dealer, with great reviews, so I'm sure they are honest and trustworthy.

I've got addresses of the previous 2 owners, so I may try to contact them to try and get to the bottom of it. But I doubt very much I'll find out.

The bike looks spot on, all genuine Honda parts etc, no scuffs or marks anywhere on the bike at all, so I'm sure it's not been down the road.

Can I have your opinions, is it a big no, no if I never get to the bottom of it? I'm sure myself it's all genuine, but I'm worried about re-sale, would it put you off?

If it wasn't for this I'd of left a deposit for sure.

11. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

I've managed to get in touch with the previous owner. He said it was black and gold when he bought it and was aware it had a colour change on the hpi. He said the bike was spotless and faultless throughout the couple of years he had it. Albeit he did less than 1000 miles on it.

So looks like I'll never get to the bottom of it