Charging system upgrade

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by morpheus20170, Mar 26, 2015.

1. morpheus20170

morpheus20170 Active Member

I ordered the FH020AA MOSFET R/R from Jack at Roadstercycle yesterday (very helpful guy) and I will order a new stator as I believe my stator is bad but I am not certain, the block connector from the stator to the reg/rec is burnt and the wires from the stator and the wires to the reg/rec looked like they got very hot.
    I have seen a video on YouTube where Jack tests the stator off the bike but most information I read is that the stator is tested on the bike.

Has anyone on here fitted the FH020AA R/R and did you need to change anything?

Advice for anyone that doesn't already know.

Those of you with the 04/05 that haven't changed your stator and rotor, I would advise you to see if your local Honda dealer will change them under warranty, if not then buy the matched pair that Honda made. Magnets in the rotor are not as powerful and I understand that the clearance has been increased between the magnets and the stator coils.

Those of you with the 04-07 I would advise moving away from the SH (Shunt type) Reg/Rec as these are not good for our charging systems. Honda moved away from the Shunt type R/R in 2008 and went to the FH (MOSFET type) R/R which is testament to the newer technology.
    When you order the MOSFET R/R bypass the main wiring loom and simply connect the stator to the R/R and the R/R direct to the battery for a much better dump of excess voltage.

Good luck everyone

• Useful Useful x 1