Chiswick Honda

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Gary Britton, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

The engine might well last, but my experience so far is that the increasing number of electronic gadgets and the associated wiring to them probably won't.. I'm waiting to start a legal battle with Honda Finance UK, that a bike that's done 14K miles and was only just over 2 years old at the time the latest problem started, shouldn't be having issues that have so far taken over 5 months to be fixed (and counting). For that reason, I think I'd much rather get an older model with a smaller brain (ECM), might be simpler to maintain in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

I get what you're saying and why. You've had a horrible experience.

That said, they said the same when points were dropped for CDI ignition, DOHC replaced pushrods etc. Largely increased complexity has been reliable, so I'm inclined to believe that my 17 blade will be as reliable as my NS or MTX.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Not only that but manufacturing cost cutting means you don't get the quality you did of 90s and early 2000 bikes. It's one reason I went from a 15 plate blade to an 05 and now on an 04 but even they aren't as well built as the 929 I had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

Now I reckon the 17 is the nicest build quality I've seen on a Honda. Nicer even than the NS which is mid 80's quality and like a jewel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

That's a fair point as i've not had anything newer than my 15 plate however it's also how long they last in good condition. I loved my 15 plate when I got it, I didn't love it so much when paint started flaking off the engine casing a year later and the frame started to mark! Honda just said my garage was too damp :mad: IIRC the 929 had titanium bolts from the factory I doubt any bike is built with such quality bolts now. And the 929 wasn't considered to be as well engineered as the blades before it at the time.

#45 Sp0oner, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  6. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

In terms of the overall package I think the RA-H (17) looks great, is light, compact and powerful with a good array of electronics and features - including a silky smooth quick shifter, gearbox and engine. Don't get me wrong, I love the bike and I honestly couldn't think of a better package for my wants/needs. I test rode a 15 plate fireblade and 16 plate SP, both of which felt bulky and heavy in comparison to the 17. I guess you'll never get a failure of the traction control or IMU on those as they don't have them - so, it was more a case of the fewer fancy bits on them, the fewer bits to go wrong. Would I prefer a 15 or 16 plate fireblade over my broken 17 - yes, but only whilst it's broken. Would I prefer a 15 or 16 plate over most other bikes - absolutely yes!

The other aspect of this thread that got me thinking was I'd been looking to get a part exchange value for my bike and BMW Motorrad stated that they'd seen similar bikes to mine, with fewer miles and newer for around £9500, so the £8000 (ish, from memory - might have been a little more or lesss) part-ex price was their best offering. Now, if they're using examples like the examples discussed earlier here, then clearly the Chiswick Honda ones might be doing more harm to our bikes' values than we realise..

• Like Like x 1
  7. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

Hmmm. I got a quote for mine from We Buy Any Bike as I am due to pay the PCP balloon. Their offer was £9k sight unseen for a 3 year old 8k miles bike. As they're at the bottom of the market, I'd suggest BMW are taking the piss.

8. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Mine had done around 14500 miles by around March 2020, so given I've not had it much since then (plus Covid), it's now up to around 15k - so perhaps the mileage makes quite a difference. My PCP balloon payment is due in April (managed to get a 37 month deal oddly) and I truly hope that I have a working bike by then to choose whether to keep or not.. I don't know about the WBAB, but I've heard horror stories from friends about WBA Car whereby they've taken a car in and money has been taken off the offer price for "paint swirls" being visible when illuminated, scuffs on the alloy wheels, and the funniest of all - a worn looking gear knob!! Maybe your £9k is a guaranteed offer, but I wonder if they'd genuinely pay that should you take it to them.

9. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

£8000 sounds about right for a px price if your's is a standard Blade (a bit low if it's an SP)

10. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

Who knows what wbab would actually pay. I've heard the horror stories too, but as a counter I've seen how many keep their cars that they describe as like new, so no surprise there's a kick back. Mine is still genuinely minty so I doubt I'd get any issues.

I think all the PCP deals are 37 months. It forces you to do the service so there is method in their madness.

11. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

'We Buy Any Car' (British Car Auctions) and 'We Buy Any Bike' are totally different Companies.

12. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

And an MOT too I guess (oops, that was another thread) :rolleyes:

13. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Yep standard blade with genuine QS and rear seat cowl, and don't laugh, an "extended warranty" until March 2022..

14. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

The extras probably don't make a difference to the price offered. It would be worth considering selling them separately (on here or Ebay etc)

Warranty :)