Clutch lever hard and not going all way down after wash

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Shaba, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Shaba

Shaba Active Member

Hi Guys

Cbr1000rr 2010.
    I washed my bike a couple weeks back the same as I always have but did not ride it and put back into garage. I took it out yesterday and noticed the clutch lever is quite tough to pull in and wont go all way down towards grip lever as it used to. I still managed to ride it and changed gears fine but the lever and pull doesnt feel the same at all.
    Anyone experienced this and point me to what I need to check pls?

Thanks

2. Odium-fr

Odium-fr Active Member

Hi,

When I wash my bike with low pressure water jet at the washing station, I always manage to ride a little after in order to dry it. Then i use my compressor at home to dry the hidden places.

Maybe some water went inside your clutch cable and now it's not properly greased?
    Try to remove the clutch lever and put some WD40 or liquid grease inside, a few times, ideally so that it comes out from the cable on the clutch side.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shaba

Shaba Active Member

Thanks Odium
    Problem solved! I spent 20 mins doing more or less what you suggested but then realised what the issue was. I installed heated grips a few months back but did not glue the grip as its a snug fit. Somehow the grip had turned so the area on grip with cables coming out was getting in the way. Turned it around a little and solved thank the lord! Pic attached to show what I am referring to incase anyone else has this..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

And don’t use WD-40 to lube your cables, it’s no good for that. Great for water dispersing and freeing seized things but not great as a lubricant. Use something with grease or PTFE which actually acts as a long term lubricant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Odium-fr

Odium-fr Active Member

You're right, forgot to say that you have to grease the cables after the use of wd40
    It doesn't last enough times on parts to be considered as a permanent lubricant.

• Like Like x 2
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I use WD40 chain lube on my clutch cable. I remove cable from lever, hold it upright and spray. The small nozzle makes it simple to get lube inside the cable. Works a treat.

7. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

Interesting, surprised that would be thin enough in consistency to run down the full length of the cable. Do you see it running out at the clutch arm end of the cable?
    I use a PTFE spray and this tool to get the cable well lubed.

Attached Files:

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

No way do I use enough to leak on to my crankcases!!:):)

9. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

Haha! It ain’t lubed then! :rolleyes: