Cooling system for engine upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Chris620, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Chris620

Chris620 Active Member

Hi guys, I'm getting bits sorted on the bike ready for the engine upgrade hopefully in a years time. The main concern I have is keeping it cool, I'm aware I can buy an extended radiator or even the add on portion for the bottom, my concern with this option is not being able myo use standard road fairings? And cost! I'm am currently running the hrc thermostat which easily keeps the standard engine at 62 but the fans don't kick in untill the 100s so I'm thinking of adding this :-

Kenlowe Adjustable Electronic Thermostat For Kenlowe Fans - Demon Tweeks

to controll them. Any ideas?

All useful help appreciated

2. scooby

scooby Elite Member

what upgrade?

3. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

I would add a manaul switch, im just going through the same thing! May need to add one myself, im also looking at upgrading the fan unit to so its shifts more air perhaps..

4. Chris620

Chris620 Active Member

In the process of building a second engine so that will be the upgrade.

Lambchops, yeah I thought about that iv seen a good thread on here on how to do it but want to wire that to an adjustable switch like the one I posted to make them come on sooner

5. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

I've been running manual switches for the last 4 years, easy as to wire one up, and cheap too, all you need is a switch and some wires.

you state you run a HRC thermostat and it keeps the engine at 62°, but why would you want the engine running at 62°, or do you mean it opens up at 62°... I've taken all the thermostats out of all my old race bikes, this 13 blade I have is the first that I haven't taken it out, yet ;) might do so in the future, but haven't riden it yet in hot weather..

6. Blade_RRunner

Blade_RRunner New Member

Hi, I have slight concerns about overheating in city traffic, so I've been thinking about some solution too. I've seen this 62 deg thermostat too, but not sure if this is good in the long run. I mean if it was, it would've been so much easier to have a low temp thermostat in stock engines too. I'm sure that this HRC thingy is ideal for performance, but what about wear, etc.?

What do you guys think?

7. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

the HRC thermostat does not keep the bike at a lower temp. The normal thermostat opens at 82°, the HRC at 62°. once either is open there is no difference.
    I don't understand why one would run one of these on a road bike. the racers usually take the whole thermostat out

#7 Skippy79, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  8. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

The reason for the higher temp thermostat IMO is so the bike gets up to temp faster, IE oil is also heated quicker. Honda want that oil as hot as poss as quickly as possible before the bike is opened up. Lower temp thermostat means the bike will take longer to warm up from cold as wont hold the coolant in the engine as long.. When the bike is up to temp I see no advantage to a lower temp thermostat as its only controlling how long the engine takes to heat up? Or have I got my wires crossed on the purpose of one of these?

I guess removing the thermostat just opens up the water way and make the coolant flow easier?

#8 lambchops, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. foenix

foenix Active Member

What will be your upgrades ?

i m running more agressive cams and more compression with 0,15 bas and 0,55 head gasket for 12 000 KMS, in South of France ( hot summer ) without a problem with stock cooling system.

just a set of SAMCO hoses and that s all.

This week i fit some Wiseco 13.5 comp and a full build head , shaved by 0,12mm, and i ll adjust PTV and PTH ( 0.7mm ) to have good clearance , but always with stock cooling, it works fine on street even with this type of engine.

Just my 2cents.

10. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

no got my crossed buddy, your 100% correct

11. Blade_RRunner

Blade_RRunner New Member

Theoretically, a 62 deg thermostat doesn't make the bike get up to temp quicker. Up to 62 degs, it's perfectly the same scenario (if it's the same bike) as with the 82 deg, because the thermostat is a yes/no device. If it's closed, it's closed, if it opens, it's then open (well maybe a few degs transient phase, but that's all). Then, at 62, the HRC thermostat opens the big circuit, whereas the 82 deg one waits with that until 82. So as far as getting up to 62, it's the exact same story.
    Now if the bike is moving, I'd guess on an open road it doesn't get much over 62 as the coolant gets cooled by air in the radioator. While at a traffic light (with coolant temp of -for ex.- 88 degs), our 82-deg thermostat is also open just as a 62-deg one would be, and we still go up to 104-108. All I can think the 62 deg one does is keep the temp too low on an open road (pro'ly not good for a stock bike in the long run), and give a bit of a leeway in slow city traffic (meaning it then starts rising from 62, not 82). From then (for example at a traffic light), it's just a matter of time to end up at the same temp as we'd have with the OEM thermostat.

That's the way my common sense logic goes, which -of course- could be proven wrong by experience. Just thinkin out loud. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Blade_RRunner

Blade_RRunner New Member

I meant, an 82 deg thermostat doesn't make the bike get up to temp (62 deg) quicker.

13. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

got me all confused here :D :D

gotta go think about this for a bit :D

so what do you then want to do bladerunner?? keep the temp down? HRC thermostat?

14. Maarten

Maarten New Member

Why would we question Honda's design here (for road usage) :)

Btw, 62degrees seems a bit low for normal operating temp

For track use, the oil radiator seems to work good to keep the temp below 90-85degrees (even during hot track condition). Of course you then don't have the fans anymore...

What kind of engine upgrade are you looking for?

15. Blade_RRunner

Blade_RRunner New Member

Sorry about confusing you. :)

What do I want? First of all just understand the logic of using a 62-deg thermostat. I know that power is the best around there (as temps increase, the ECU makes the engine run on richer air/fuel ratio for better internal cooling, etc. -> power decreases a bit), so that's OK for the track, but not so sure about this on the street.

My logic says that a lower-temp thermostat does not increase cooling capacity/performance (still the same radiator surface). All it does (apart from above performance optimization on track) is give more "room" for temp to increase before it gets too hot. So engine temp can safely increase 25 deg on a demanding section before it cools down on a faster section. Does this work on the street? If we can understand this, it may help realize who can benefit from this best. The track rider? The street rider? Tuner? Stock biker? All? None?

Well, for sure we can all benefit from thinkink about this together. ;)

16. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

and where is this???

17. foenix

foenix Active Member

The best power is between 78° and 85°.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

very good ;)

19. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

I cannot see any benefit to the 62 degree thermo.. I cannot see engine temp ever getting that low while running in normal conditions unless perhaps if you have a big race alloy rad, then perhaps and on a very cold day!! For a street bike then no benefit at all, you would be better off with the 82 and letting the coolant heat be retained in the engine for as long as possible to warm the oil ready for thrashing at start up :)

20. foenix

foenix Active Member

The only benefit is when you bump on compression ratio but a very high compression and on the track only => lot of heat in the engine with compression up.

No worth it on street even with build engine, or yes but with an engine with comp > 14 .