Day time mot requirements on a track bike

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by Jase, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jase

Jase Elite Member

I have been told of a few people all you need for a day time mot is a number plate and horn having looked in to this its not the case this only applies to certain bikes that don't exceed 25 mph plus there year .

Any current bike must have a

1.horn
    2.number plate
    3.rear reflector
    4.brake light that work from both brakes.

Took this of Carole Nash website

To qualify for a daytime MOT your bike must “have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked.” This applies to headlamps, position lamps and indicators. The situation with stop lamps is significantly more complicated. Machines do not need to have a stop lamp fitted if they cannot exceed 25mph, were first used before 1st January 1936 or were first used before 1st April 1986 and do not exceed 50cc. Those first used before 1st April 1986 must have a stop lamp that operates from at least one brake control and those used on or after that date must have a stop lamp operated from both brakes. There is an added if not widespread complication for bikes first used from 1st April 1986 which were approved with a stop lamp activated by one control. There were very few of these and test inspectors are instructed to fail a bike only if they are certain the stop lamp was designed to be operated by both brake controls and isn’t.

I plan to get another tail section race fairing and modify it to fit a number plate and a brake light as it only take a minute to swop over.

When you read the requirements it says no back light but what's the difference between a brake light lense and a light lense?

#1 Jase, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Sounds like a mine field mate, I don't know what your relationship is with your MOT guy/girl at present, but mine, would sit and talk to you all day with a cup of tea, Least you'd be getting the information direct and you know you wouldn't be missing anything.

3. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

For mot you need horn and number plate . Bike isn't allowed on public roads after dark so why the need for reflector ?

My bikes always moted "no lights fitted at time of mot" on advisory with a number plate and a horn that's it buddy

4. Jase

Jase Elite Member

Just been to speak to him and he told me what I posted it has to have a brake light .

5. Jase

Jase Elite Member

Wedgie if you have anything in black and white that says different to what I posted can you let me know as if I can avoid brake light I will , its no drama I can put a brake light on.I will ring up Vosa as they will confirm it for me as I don't want to meet mr jobs worth on the road and get points /fine.

6. Jase

Jase Elite Member

Wedgie you are right mate just found this reply from vosa if lights are fitted it must have a brake light but as lights are not needed them nor is a brake light . This really is a case of dont always believe what you read , now the fun part to tell my mot guy he is wrong he is a really grumpy fecker.

Here is the Vosa reply that confirms what wedgie says

ANDY.T I do hope that you are not an MOT tester or Plod,

A VOSA reply taken from the Pit Bike forum;

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry dated 4th May 2010, concerning daytime MOT's.

A daylight MOT would require a motorbike to have a horn and a rear registration plate.

The testing guidelines state that motorbikes can be exempt from having lamps tested if they meet the following criteria:-

machines which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are:-
    only used in daylight hours
    not used in times of serious reduced visibility

The following items/lamps are not required to be tested in order for a MOT to pass a daylight MOT test as long as they meet the criteria above.
    Front and Rear position lamps
    Headlamps
    Stop Lamps
    Rear Reflectors
    Direction Indicators

VOSA can only advise on MOT standards queries. For information on the legal requirements you will need to address your enquiry to the Department for Transport, as they deal with the Construction and Use Regulations and Road Law.

The Department for Transport can be telephoned on 0300 330 3000, or you can visit their website at http://www.dft.gov.uk for further contact information.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Robert Evans
    VOSA Contact Centre
    Operations Directorate
    Tel: 0300 123 9000

or an extract from an email reply sent to me from the Police;

....having looked through the regulations and spoken with PC XXXX the officer who stopped you, we both now agree that you are quite right and your trials motorcycle does NOT require a brake light. The exemption for your vehicle is given by Reg 4(3) Road Vehicle Lighting regs 1989.

7. Jase

Jase Elite Member

I have also just been in to another mot station who actually went on to there computer to check the current day time mot requirements and its as Wedgie said , number plate and horn is the only requirement.

Sorry to question what you were saying wedgie but you would think Carole Nash website would have the right info or at least clear information.

8. scooby

scooby Elite Member

have you asked for a quote regarding your bike being modified in this way? (there is no such thing as a daytime MOT,it's just an MOT with advisories).

i ran my bike for a few yrs with the above and never had an issue with the police,but dont recall seeing any though.problem is,you'll find a lot of the police wont know the regs themselves so could pull you anyway and then you have the fun of trying to explain to them about a "daytime MOT".

if you are going to put a rear light on,i have 1 here off my bike that i was going to fit if needed but never did.can post a pic if you want.

9. Jase

Jase Elite Member

That's right it's a normal mot with an advisory for day time use everyone just calls it a day time mot, regarding getting stopped I will keep a copy of the post from vosa to show them its nothing new with police not knowing stuff with running limos we always have similar problems of the police not knowing certain things.

So I don't need lights of any sort as I don't need them cheers anyway .

10. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

No worries Jason i know as looked into this many moons ago and laws have not changed. Legally you are allowed to refit lights and use also just cause you have now just really done the advisorys

11. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Great thread, really interesting as I have mine today as was worried about the Integrated rear lenses. Suppose this wont be covered as if it has indicators, though conform to the standard?

Anyway, changing the point and outlet out of interest- why do you want an MOT if your tracking the bike and have your trailer mate? Still planning to use it for day time ride outs? (Sorry if I've missed his somewhere)

12. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Great thread, really interesting as I have mine today and been worried about the Integrated rear lenses. Suppose this wont be covered as if it has indicators, though conform to the standard?

Anyway, changing the point and outlet out of interest- why do you want an MOT if your tracking the bike and have your trailer mate? Still planning to use it for day time ride outs? (Sorry if I've missed this somewhere)

13. Jase

Jase Elite Member

Hi Dave

Yeah still want to have days out on the road will look at getting a second bike next year if I think I will use it and depending if I stop spending on my track bike. Lol

14. Swiss T

Swiss T Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. mekanix

mekanix Active Member

Just to put my pennies worth in, as a motorbike mot tester, I would pass a bike without any lights as long as it has a horn and number plate. Simple as that really, there's a lot of testers out there that either don't know the regulations or simply won't risk their licence by passing it. As long as the tester advises on the certificate that there were no lights fitted at the time of tests they've covered their arse. There is no 'daylight' mot. Hope this helps.

16. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Result, thanks for that. Been following with interest. May just have saved a fortune on a trailer :D

17. Jase

Jase Elite Member

If your on about riding your trackbike to track you will have the firebloke to answer to .This is a BIG NO NO as if you have an off you have the problem of getting your bike back,take your mate in Scotland with all the hassle he had.I was at cadwell the other week and exactly this happened to a guy that rode his bike to the track he had a off and was trying to get his bike home.NOT WORTH IT.

Get yourself a cheap trailer save yourself a load of hassle or rent one.

#17 Jase, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Fair point Jason, i should elaborate though.
    I plan to mainly ride at Cadwell which is only 30 mins away from me. If i'm on my own and cant ride back then i'll get a lift or phone home for one, lock the bike up and pick it up the next day. Unlike Lee whos bike is still in Howick :eek:

If i go to any tracks further away from home then its a definite trailer hire job (assuming i dont buy one). I cant try to get on the Oulton meet though as i'm working away.

#18 Muffking, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  19. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Portland Towing hire out bike trailers, no idea about costs though. If you do bin it SOS Motorbike Recovery have done a few mates proud in the past.

20. Muffking

Muffking God Like

That's who I use. I hired theirs when I bough my Blade in Scotland, but they sold the twin bike trailer and now only have a single. It's £30 per day or £15 for a half day, still the same price as the twin though :(

Not used SOS before though, may look them up.