decibel limit

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by scarra, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Muffking

Muffking God Like

My initial thought was, how can the EU reg be good enough for the government MOT standard, but not good enough for the local council who impose the track limits!

Maybe he should spend the day riding through all the local villages with his road legal exhaust instead of at the track, because that would make far more sense???

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Castle Combe suffers from the sort of idiots who buy a house next to a race track and then complain about the noise.

Used to be a great circuit but has been silly tight on noise for some years now.

3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I have always despised that mentality - most prevalent around airports!

4. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

in 20 years they will all be quiet due to electric bike TD only, no doubt... :( but in 20 years i wont give a sh*t lol...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lynden Brain

Lynden Brain New Member

The reading was done at 3/4 full throttle - approx. 9750rpm. Before I booked any track days I had a full service done just last week by a local motorbike garage (cam tensioners, valve clearances etc. £760). Although the silencer wasn't part of the service and it could be that it hasn't had any attention since the day it was first sold, my next move is to ask around a)how to go about dismantling and possibly refurbishing, b) fitting a db killer or c) replacing the end can/complete exhaust. Any advice would be gratefully received.

#25 Lynden Brain, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Holy shit Lynden, £760 for a service? They must be using gold-plated spanners and oil delivered directly by an Arab Sheik!!

I recently had a 16,000 mile service done on my 2011, which included valve clearances AND a new air filter and 4 plugs. Was an accredited Honda dealer, which we all know is a tad dearer than the normal 'scale charges' and it was £475.00 inc VAT.

Re the exhaust, a previous owner might have ripped the innards out of it - it has been done before!! If you get the opportunity, perhaps listen to yours next to another standard exhaust - you'll soon know if there's any difference.

7. Lynden Brain

Lynden Brain New Member

Thanks for the reply/advice I will check the exhaust. With the aforementioned service I did ask for some extra bits and pieces such as a new back tyre etc. by mentioning the price what I was really trying to say was that the bike was in as good a condition as possible and not neglected. Once again many thanks.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Hopefully you can pick up a standard can reasonably cheap if necessary as many people swap it for a louder one.

You thought about going to Thruxton instead? Not sure what limit they have but never heard people saying they weren't allowed on with a louder can.

In the mean time just ride around Castle Coombe village in 1st gear at 6am on Sunday mornings ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Donington Park noisy days are great. 108db drive by, nice to get the baffle out for some LOUD fun...

10. zxrob

zxrob Active Member

I,m running a full scorpion system on my 06, its 102db with the baffle, cant be arsed taking it out for donnington noisy days, runs fine with it in

BTW, with baffle out, its 107db

Rob

11. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

baffle in on mine costs me a few BHP, so take mine out when ever i can on track day, always nice to have more power, plus it sounds mega

It helps that the baffle is only held in by a Circlip, so pops out easy when needed :D

my Arrow system sounds about the same noise as your scorpion then, 102 baffle in, 108 out static

#31 SimonRR, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bloody hell! Returns me to the days of my wife's IUD.:D

• Funny Funny x 1