Detailing

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Jimbo Vills, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Anybody ever had their machine done?

Looked on some sites and the results look amazing! My bike isn't dirty but not as clean as some (use it all year) so was thinking of getting this done to have it mint clean again so easy to maintain that level going into the spring.

What sort of prices are about?

Im new to the term detailing as a friend was going on about it - for those of you like me haven't heard before - it's proper high level valet from what I can work out lol

2. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Seen it done on cars, polishing without all the little scratches. Looks good!

3. Benn The Pig

Benn The Pig Well-Known Member

It's mega expensive on a car a 2 day detail us about £400-£500 but results are amazing.

I'm into it a bit but venture shielded my GSXR so no need on that.

May have a pop on the blade, I got clay bar and spray but need a real good polish to leave that deep luster in the paint work again it's a bit lost on a White bike!!!

4. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Tbh car detailers that check paint depth and re-polish to cut out swerls and scratches are at another lever over those like allyearbiker that wash the bike then put ACF50 in a spray gun and drown your bike in it for 100quid or so.. Knowing the right products and how to use them is what gives good results when cleaning a bike, citrus degreasers work very well with no harm to alloy etc unlike harsh TRF (trafic film removers) or Truckwash as use but the fly by night cleaners in car parks and gararges.. Why not chat to some of your mates who talk about it they sound like they know the score? Maybe help you have a go.. for me its also time to have a close look over my bike, people that bring bikes to me for service get a good clean up for free..well its included in the price and if I have time I may even go to town...

5. matt

matt Active Member

I 'detail' my own bike and cars, brought myself a meguirs polishing machine 2 years ago and it's brill for getting little scratches out and makes polishing/waxing/cutting a whole lot easier, and you get much better results.
    There's so many products out there tho so most of what I do is trial and error as some products work better on the car than on the bike.

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Also do my won bike and cars, a few links on here about what to use and how to go about it :)

7. arthurbikemad

Same as you I polish lots of metal's (exhaust systems and alloy etc) so have air DA sanders etc etc and got some foam backs a while back to start scratch removal on my cars etc its not easy and there is much more to it than people think the one thing I do know is bike paint is NOT like that used on cars, I mean production bike paints vary hugely from one manufacture to another, if you were to go anywhere near a Ducati with cutting compounds you would kill it but others like Suzuki stand up well, these new water biased paints are shite imo.. I use cleanyourcar.co.uk for lots of stuff and I4detailing for some other odds and ends.. you can get a few polishing bits from thepolishingshop.co.uk and even machinemart.co.uk.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

I am into detailing as well, but not to the level of having my own orbital polisher - not sure I'll trust myself with one!

To be honest, I'd start with buying some quality shampoo, wash mitts, drying towels, applicator pads, microfibre cloths, polish and wax. I'd then see what finish you can get without getting to the claybar/oribital polisher stages.

This is my bike after a good wash, polish and wax regime:

[​IMG]

It's somewhat addictive and compelling though, ultimately leading to bike cleanliness OCD!

9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Cheersfor the info guys!! I was aware they did alot more with the polish and stuff but I've also seen on the web where they clean engines, swing arms etc etc - the te places that are hard to get to and are greasy!! Lol the bits I hate cleaning...

Think I'll just get some gear and give it a go - instead of going the lazy route!

10. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Get yourself some degreaser for those areas, or some SDOC 100 gel. That's idea for engines, swingarms etc - spray on, leave it a while, agitate with a sponge or brush and hose of. Et voila, clean motorcycle!

11. megawatt

You lot need some serious help! What happens when you are out on yer bike and it starts to rain? Do you burst into tears and vow never to get the bike dirty again???

• Like Like x 2
  12. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Yup :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. megawatt

Ya big tart! Ride the fookin thing, don't polish it!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Mine does get dirty megs... As I ride all year, but that doesn't mean that when I get it home I dont want to give it some tlc!!

I like most, don't like riding a dirty dog of a bike.

15. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Only kidding mate ;) I do love to to ride it. I just like keeping it clean too. Spent too much money to just let it waste away. I'm really needing to get myself a hack to ride around on when it's deep in salt up here.

16. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Wash it again :)

17. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Mate When I did my Euro tour my bike was minning. 1800 miles of crap, flys dust. I don't mind when I'm out just like to keep the bike looking nice and clean when I get home.

• Like Like x 2
  18. arthurbikemad

Me too cry like a baby I do, thank God im always so fast the others dont see... lol ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

That sounds like the perfect excuse to never slow down. Might use that 1 next time I'm out :)

20. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah the advantage of a faired bike. Out of sight, out of mind.