diagnostic tools

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Robert Benson, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Robert Benson

Robert Benson New Member

Hi Everyone,

Looking into my wife's fireblade that wont start.

What diagnostic SW is out there and what cables do I need?

Thanks in advance

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

3. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

Is it 16 pin socket?

4. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

Also don't they flash up fault codes on dash?

5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Unfortunately not as I've a couple of OBD2 testers. It's Hondas red connector (5 pin I think).

6. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

No motorcycle currently carries the standard obd plug that's been fitted to cars for over ten years now.

The likes of the heal tech unit does have its uses but like any obd device the ecu needs to pick up an issue and log it as a fault, this in turn brings the Engine warning light on the dash.
    The fault codes can be retrieved by bridging specific terminals (or plugging in Honda or heal tech diagnostic device) into the red diagnostic plug.
    Found close to the battery on the blades.

So back to your starting issue if the engine warning light is not illuminated the ecu has not logged any errors so using a diagnostic tool won't narrow your diagnostic process down any!

7. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

Triumph use 16pin eodb

8. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Never knew that..............eventually I would expect bikes to go the same as cars and the diagnostics system interfaces will be standardised but until then most bike manufacturers still use old obd type systems that were phased out in the 90's on cars!

9. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

I only know cos my mate works for Rac and he's scanned a 675 I think, through eodb

10. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Go on give us a clue where to start with the problem..... We can have loads of fun giving wild guesses and driving you mad. But someone may get the correct solution.

11. Robert Benson

Robert Benson New Member

ok here we go :)

We had the bike into service a few weeks ago and the mech told us that he measured 16+volts over the battery terminals. I got home did the same test... 14.5Volts everything ok... So I put a battery monitor on there, and its shown normal voltage since. Since the beginning of the season I can hear the battery is having to work to start the bike up, so new battery imminent and kept an eye on it.

The other day, the mrs had 4 places she had to be during the day, and after that on a ladies bikers evening out. Everything was fine, no sign of battery depletion. Getting on the blade to come home, the bike will turn over but wont start, just as if the kill switch was on.

The kill switch is not on, bike in neutral, fuel in the tank she wont start up.

So I came out with a booster/starter kit. Checked all the fuses in the fuse box, and the 2 main fuses. AOK, booster on and the bike still wont start up.

Long story short, I've checked the RR and it came back (Black) 0,0,0,123,123,123 (Red) 0,0,0,485,480,479 Checked the generator wires, and they all came back with .3 ohms, and I couldnt check the voltage for obvious reasons. New battery taking its time to get here, and new RR ordered just in case.

So next step I was thinking of was getting a diagnostic tool on the bike to see if it would come up with any warnings, or error reports??

What say ye?

• Like Like x 1
  12. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

This may be two unrelated problems. When you put the booster cables on was the engine spinning normally/fast. Have you checked the kill switch connections?
    Mike.

14. Robert Benson

Robert Benson New Member

Mike07: The engine was spinning fast with the booster on.

ColinBR: Thinking about it I dont think I did hear the fuel pump priming, so I just went out to the garage, connected the RR and old battery again, and switched the bike on. Nothing. Flipped the kill switch back and forth a couple of times, and nothing. Until 5 seconds later where the fuel pump activates, I try to start her up and VROOOMMM!!!! The mrs came running in asking if she can take the bike tomorrow. :) Tried the kill switch again, and fuel pump came on straight away but cut out prematurely . HESD icon in the instrument panel HISS light and the yellow gearbox light, cut out with it. Then it can back on its self, and I could start the bike up again. I tried this a few time to try to isolate the problem and the bike cut out a couple of times whilst it was running.

So time to split the kill switch apart. Aren't the wires inside the kill switch housing usually soldered??

15. Robert Benson

Robert Benson New Member

Hi Guys,

just to let you know that it was indeed the kill switch. I opened it up and gave it some contact cleaner and now the bike is working perfectly :)

Thanks for your help ;)

• Like Like x 2