Did they fix the ABS? I'm wondering whether to buy a "last of the line" old model

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by edderby, Jan 14, 2017.

1. edderby

edderby Active Member

I've had my blade from new in November 2009 and have covered over 36,000 miles, mostly touring overseas in the last few years (over 10,000 in 2016) and I love it. It's totally reliable and really comfortable with the e-seat and I can cover 600 miles in a day, so who needs (or wants) a sports tourer or GS-alike (especially if you have short legs like I have)? But nothing will last forever, so I'm just wondering whether to buy one of the last new 2016 models left, but I would like to have ABS as I have had the odd "lock the front" moment in the past (thankfully without issue), but I'm concerned that the current blade's ABS might be more trouble than benefit. Did they fix the ABS failures on final production models? I don't want to buy a bike that I lose trust in. Would appreciate any advice on this.

2. Naz

Naz Active Member

Simple answer - No, I'm currently trying to return mine back as I have had a few brake failure moments. There's a couple of ABS related pages on here. The new 2017 model has a different ABS system so if you want one I'd look at the new one. Ohh and I met someone who crashed as a result of the brakes failing!

3. edderby

edderby Active Member

Thanks Naz and Ian - I feared as much.
    I'll have to think over:
    - trying to find a non-ABS "last of the old ones"
    - buying a 2017 model - rather more money than I'd like to spend, but maybe it'll be wonderful?
    - or just keeping my current bike a while longer - I do really love the bike, I've shared fantastic memorable adventures with it across a dozen or more countries. Just realise that it'll get old one day...

4. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

No reason why your 'old' one should be any worse than a new one if serviced regularly.

Fastest guy i ride with is on a k5 gsxr which has 90k or something silly on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I'd keep your current one, if it's well looked after it'll go on for yonks yet :)
    Mines an 11 with over 40k on & still rides & looks great, it won't be going anywhere till its up near the 100k mark

6. edderby

edderby Active Member

Thanks Lozzy - I guess you're right

7. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

I have just bought a out going 16 blade non abs and I wanted it that way, my two other bikes have abs and it's a pain ( triumph Daytona 675R) and I like the fact it's got no electronics the last of it type.

8. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Sold mine back in 2013 due to ABS issues.

Not had a Honda since! :D

9. cronester

cronester Active Member

I totally agree with Gary above and got a 2016 Fireblade SP non-ABS at a good price and it's a really great bike for me. if you search around you may be able find a new or pre reg non ABS model and save loads over the 2017 model.

10. Captain73

Captain73 Member

Buy a black edition blade , no abs and loads of extras