DIY haircut

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bonjo, Jul 1, 2020.

1. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Planning to do a one man DIY haircut No 4 all over:eek:

Got the clippers, mirror & scissors but I don't know how to tackle the back of the neck??

Any ideas on how to (which does not end in tears or blood!)?

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Use a normal electric razor with your free hand acting as a guard/guide for the bottom of the hairline.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Good idea thanks.
    I’ll add the electric shaver to my weapons:) and retire to my garage And hope for the best

4. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Lots of tips on YouTube, go shorter all over you won't regret it go number 2 then a 1 if you don't like it give a couple of weeks it will have grown back.

#4 bradt, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  5. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

I did a number 4 with the old dog trimmer.
    I just kept hitting it from all directions and that cut it back then I took off the plastic 4 part and trimmed round my ears.
    I suspect it's a bit tatty at the back but it isn't long and it's untidy not silly.
    I've done it twice now. The second time was much faster as I knew that with the 4 part on it is virtually impossible to mess up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Go straight to 2 or 1 all over, don't have to worry about fading then.

Get a second mirror to spot the missed bits

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Straight down to the wood, it's the only way. Use your non writing hand to feel for long bits afterwards. Your non dominant hand is far more sensitive to the feel.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Ages back I was using the No.4 guard and it fell off on the down stroke at the back and I was left with a no guard stubbly shaved line about 4 inches long up the back of my head :eek::oops:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Number 4 all over?? You'll look like a tennis ball :eek::D:D

I've been doing a 2 on top and 1 back and sides, faded with 1 and 1/2. It's quite simple really, well that's what I kept telling the Mrs. The last cut was a one all over.....didn't like it thougho_O

You'll never get the back right if you're doing it yourself.....get someone to do it for you is my advice :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

gosh some of you guys sound like pros and thank you for your experts advice:)

The deed was done a couple of days back.
    MAnaged to find my remington which was put awy 20 years ago. Decided on number 2 and ended up with a lot shorter cut than normal :eek:but turned out very easy and quite clean at the back:) as Barst'd mentioned. Now I know I have been having No 4 (well next time)
    Even my garafe floor did not suffer much.
    But boy don't I feel the temperature drop and the cold round my nake now; feels like autumn.
    I am very happy not to worry about barber's waiting list nor the inevitable inflated prices

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

So my son did mine yesterday......had enough of looking like a mad scientist .....plus wanted it. Off ready for new Arai spin in morning ......so now look like Hitler zero up the sides little bit swept over the front ....all I need now is a little moustache ......for the full fatherland look...

• Funny Funny x 3