Does it really have to be this hard??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BoroRich, Mar 14, 2018.

1. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

So…………I’ve finally got my MotoGP viewing sorted out for the coming season (fingers crossed). Trying to watch TV shouldn’t take this much organising :eek:

As I’m not a BT customer anymore I’ve ended up renewing my MotoGP Videopass for another season. Following the advice on here I used a VPN to make it appear that I was in Spain and whaddyaknow………it was 60 euro cheaper. Ripoff Britain, eh? :mad:

So then I tried casting the app off my phone to my Chromecast and off we go………for about 30 seconds and then the video and audio starts to stutter for a fraction of a second about once every second. Unwatchable, basically. :(

Great.

So, I tried messing with all of the settings on the Chromecast (2nd gen), went into the router to change the WiFi band, checked the settings on the TV. Nothing. Same result everytime. o_O

I figured that MotoGP might be broadcasting in a higher frame rate this year which the Chromecast doesn’t support (the video was working fine on my phone) so I bit the bullet and went and bought a Chromecast Ultra and FINALLY it works. :rolleyes:

So, if you’re struggling with the same problem, this may be why.

Hope the racing’s good this year because if it ain’t I’ve just paid out £200.00 for nowt.

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Wow. Whilst the end result is what you wanted, I don't think anyone would forecast such difficulties.

I am a BT customer, so my MotoGP (and Eurosport) is wrapped up in a package. However, the negative for me, and, I suspect, many BT users, is that the 'package' seems to dramatically increase year by year. I may well look wider afield when it comes to renewal in September.

I think it's a very safe bet that racing will be good. Whilst we can 'expect' Marquez to do well, there are a few candidates able to challenge. There's the stalwarts Lorenzo and Dovi, but reports show Crutchlow's times are more than respectable (offset by his honour of being the first to dump it this year) his team mate Nakagami could well make some podium appearances: https://www.foxsports.com.au/motors...8/news-story/e8387948ebcb200d449366397f3479a3

Finally, I would never be game enough to remove Rossi from the equation!

3. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

It was a lot simpler when I was a BT customer and, to be honest, I preferred BT sport's coverage to that offered by Dorna. Suzi Perry is an excellent frontman and it's nice having Colin Edwards and Hodgey on the team. I really don't like Keith Huewen but he was bearable with Julian Ryder alongside him. Now that Julian's gone.......god knows.

Can't imagine Lorenzo doing too much. He seems like he's amazing as long as the bike's perfect and he's got a clear track. Dovi's got a chance but I'd say it's Marquez's to lose again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Agreed.
    They keep putting the price up to cover the ludicrous amount they've stumped up for the Premier League football rights...now I won't moan too much about that being a big footy fan of a (once) top PL team.
    I have seen reports that in the not too distant future BT will be wrapped up into the Sky subscription which I have as well and that may work out cheaper.
    I always haggle with these TV companies regardless, my current sky deal is 50% off for the 12 months contract and BT gave me 3 months half price and 12 months of not paying for the 'HD add on'.

All of this could have been avoided were it not for OFCOM ensuring that us, the consumers, had more choice; which essentially we have but to watch everything I want I have to pay both of these greedy TV companies high subscriptions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

Find a mate who has BT broadband and is prepared to share their log in details so you can access through the app. Then cast to TV. Works for me, thanks mother-in-law!

• Like Like x 1
  6. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Yeah I dumped Bt sport as they put the monthly price up to £36 and i only watch Motogp, so bought the Video pass, watched today for the first time and impressed, can watch live timings too, can flick to onboard bikes real easy, all they need now is 4K streaming to be perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I just used to watch it at the pub with some friends as you can get a lot of Sunday roasts for your £200 ;)

8. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Its only £170, with 23 GP, that's £7.40 per race, can you find a Sunday lunch with drinks for that? if so, good luck :D

9. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Nope, it would stretch to a few pints though ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

But then drinking and driving/riding ain't good, no I will keep watching it at home, all the quali, live timings, on bike cams and so on, I recommend motogp video pass to anyone that doesn' have BT btw, £7.40 for each whole GP weekend is good value imho :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

The "No Spoiler" tab on the video pass is a must if you are going to watch the racing (other than live).

I have found that the front page of the Video Pass can often give away the result - a big picture of someone holding a trophy aloft, or the title of the video might give away the result.

So I login straight to the "No Spoiler" tab which just lists all of the sessions - practise, Moto2 qualifying 1, MotoGP race - whatever. That way there is no picture or title that could give away the result.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Have to say I'm pretty impressed with the VideoPass this year.

Last year was pretty glitchy. Like if I watched live and casted from my phone to the chromecast it would remain playing on the phone. If I tried to close it on the phone it would continue playing but then the sound would start coming out of the phone, out of sync with the telly :rolleyes:

Not so this year though. The app has worked perfectly and the picture quality is excellent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

What do you make of the new pit lane commentator ?

I think he wants to speed it up a bit - he talks a bit slow !

Funny when he came on to offer some opinion - about three seconds before the whole pack of race bikes came flying past and drowned him out completely !:D

Funny.

14. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Simon crafar ex aussie gp rider do you mean?

15. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Yes, that must be him, Simon with an Aussie accent. I did not know anything about him - though he seems a bit if a character.

16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

We with BT Sport had Michael Laverty as a new commentator. Certainly qualified, but couldn't really get much of a word in over Colin Edwards, Neil Hodgson and Suzy Perry.

17. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Yeah he does, we was in gp amd I think superbikes around the 90's

• Agree Agree x 1