Doing some little jobs, looking for some advice RR%

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by sulaco, May 2, 2017.

1. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

So, I decided to do an oil change, I've stripped the bodywork off( I like to do a bit of a spring clean to all the bits it hides) Also going to fit a radiator guard and change coolant. Having looked at the radiator I've decided to remove the radiator for some tarting up. The paint is quite flaky in places (white powdery underneath), what should I paint it with. I was gonna rub it down and maybe use smooth Hammerite the other option was high temp paint ,any body done this? any suggestions? Also quite a few bent fins, looked at youtube for possible ways to straighten, was gonna go down the route of , small watchmakers type screwdriver in between fins manually push them apart (very slow) then spotted a vid showing a "comb" to straighten them up, any body had any experience with them? Also how easy is the rad to remove? I'm fairly handy with a spanner but I'm no mechanic! Cheers in advance.

2. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

I sanded mine down and painted with hammerite. It's done a great job ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't bother with the fins ... you can cause more harm than good.

Next time round I'll probably just replace the radiator.

3. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

Cheers, looks good, I thought that was probably the way to go. As for the fins, got rad guard going on top so probably won't bother, it runs cool enough.:)