Early SP practical replacement for rr9?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by bradt, Sep 16, 2017.

1. bradt

bradt Elite Member

As title states early SP's seem to be getting close to budget for replacement for the rr9 in spring next year, as a everyday road bike and twice a year euro trip bike how practical are they? ( I don't do track days) I remember many early owners saying they were to track focused, what is the general option?

2. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Overwhelmed at the response does no one ride a SP on the road?

3. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

I'd say anything with ohlines and brembo on will be kick ass. Depends on how hard u ride to if u need them. U notice the difference when u start pushing it. Mines set quite hard for fast road but i only go 300 mile max. If your not pushing it a low mileage newer model with the big piston forks on set up will be fine. And u save about 3grand. I'v only a 12 plate then I upgraded the forks and shock and love the ride. Standard brakes are fine on the road but it won't stop me getting some brembo set up. I should of bought a sp really.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. levin

levin Active Member

Havnt ridden the sp , but hav ridden bikes with ohlins ect, and you can definitely tell the difference, I'm on a 14 plate 13 blade, and I'm thinking I should have stretched a bit further and went for the sp , if that helps at all

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Ian J

Ian J Active Member

I have ridden both an RRA and SP on the road. Both perfectly parcticable (a darn sight more practicable than my 1199R!). Clearly you can't have a pillion on the SP and the tie-off points for soft luggage are less but otherwise not an issue at all IMHO.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Slick

Slick Elite Member

One of my commuter buddies used one over a two year period. Used it everyday from Berkshire to the City only sold it when he reached 40k.
    He had zero complaints or problems over this period.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. cronester

cronester Active Member

I have a 2016 SP (Non ABS) which I only use on the road and I think they are a superb road bike. I did a week in the Alps earlier this year and found it excellent with sharp predictable handling and strong midrange. The Ohlins suspension is firm but not harsh once setup correctly and really works well especially when worked harder.
    I have made a few modifications to suit my road riding as follows.

Helibars ... Excellent Fit without modifications to the bike and give a less extreme (for me anyway) riding position.
    Honda Comfort seat
    Lighter 100nm rear spring for my weight
    Bridgestone S21 tyres 55 profile rear
    Small Ventura luggage system for euro trips

Perfect sport touring bike ....for me anyway SP Alps small.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

I didn't realise you could get a non-ABS 2016 SP (being Euro 4)?

I've heard of 2015 bikes not having it but they are actually 2014 bikes that have been registered in 2015.

9. cronester

cronester Active Member

My understanding is that the 2016 SP (Red bellypan) is euro 3 compliant. I think that euro 4 started with 2017 fireblades .