ECU remap

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by stuart_g, Jun 2, 2020.

1. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

From what I've been told by the tuner the Woolwich certainly is. It has the option of disabling things such as the O2 sensor, Exhaust valve, air valves and the like without the need for eliminators / resistors. Only thing is that you need the software to make any changes or you need to revisit the tuner.

#21 LRJimmy, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Understand that @LRJimmy, my query was unclear sorry - What I was meaning is if you already have the power commander is the additional cost for a flash worth the difference on a pre 2017 model?

3. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

Gotcha mate. Sorry but I'm not knowledgeable enough to properly say. I guess if the power commander is properly set up then there wouldn't be much gain to be had from a flash... :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Slick

Slick Elite Member

I'm no expert either but a PCV as standard only controls the primary injectors, (4 out of 8) and at 250 rpm resolution(cant recall the TP resolution)
    If the reflash controls all 8 and at the same or high resolution and considers other parameters, engine temp, crank sensor, map etc then the map theoretically would be more optimum.

#24 Slick, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. John Tuck

John Tuck Active Member

A re
    If you went for a re flash, which is much more comprehensive than a fuelling device, the PC would be redundant, you could sell it and make some money back. I had a ZZR14 remap done by BSD last August and it was £450.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. RR7

RR7 New Member

I went round this loop some time ago when, eventually, I had my RR7s remapped. I can empathise, it's a really complicated business to get to a good understanding of what you actually end up with.
    These are my thoughts, each to their own!

Non fly-by-wire throttles:
    A standard engine and EFI is very well matched to the OEM exhaust, including the exhaust valve operation.
    Only lean spots caused by emission points are there as gains.
    Leaving the narrow band O2 still operating will cause the system to keep leaning out at the emission points.
    Without the O2 operating the system will not be able to correct for fuel octanes different from that used to remap.
    Expect fuel consumption to rise by at least 10%.
    The resolution of a remap is much better than a PC.
    Be very careful altering the ignition tables, serious damage possible, and quickly.
    The exhaust valve usually has a noticeable effect on bottom end, think before removing.
    The PAIRS system has to be removed to analyse exhaust.
    Cats have little effect on flow except at top end and reducing noise.
    Inlet flaps, generally, are only for noise reduction and removing wont affect maximum air flow.

Fly-by-wire throttles:
    All the above except;
    OEM exhaust will probably be restrictive if the throttle stops are removed in the ECU.
    Significant improvements, particularly at top end, possible after removing manufacturer's throttle stops.
    Cats on FBW bikes are potentially restrictive if throttle stops removed and a significant flow increase allowed.
    Total expense of properly opening up a FBW bike to full potential likely to be higher.

Hope this helps, find a competent dyno man and don't be afraid to question him!

7. Slick

Slick Elite Member

could be wrong but isn't the knock sensor responsible for altering the ignition for variances in the octane rating?

8. RR7

RR7 New Member

yes good point, I'm not aware my 07s have a knock sensor though, will have to look into that. Later bikes do, yes.
    At the time mine was dynoed I asked about ignition adjustments but he was adamant that it was too risky and very time consuming. Just correcting the fuel tables produced a perfect AFR plot.

9. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

slick is correct the knock sensor adjusts the timing when detecting detonation, pre-irnigtion either fuel related or poor engine running.
    I think it appeared on 2008>.
    The O2 sensor On/Off (narrow band if you like) is part of the closed loop fueling. It's main job is to stop unburnt fuel (e.g rich mixture) getting to the cat which runs very hot and to ignite and eleveate the tepm even more.
    Lamda sensor (not common on bikes) gives out variable volts for finer control of the fuel mixture.

10. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Good lord, what a bunch of namby pamby's. :D:);)

Grow a set of balls and just get y'alls ECUs flashed and move on.

Insurance is not going to be any the wiser unless they pull the ECU and have it analysed. And then all they will see is "Flash count = 1" vs Flash count = 0" and no proof YOU flashed it.

Oh and the SC77 doesn't have knock sensors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. RC45

RC45 Active Member

What company is this claiming that running the bike without the front wheel turning causes an error only a dealer can reset?

The error is self resetting - its a simple front wheel speed sensor error.

Christ - why is there so much false and misleading information spread around by lazy companies not willign to know the facts?

• Like Like x 3
  12. Slick

Slick Elite Member

took that screen print off dynojet's site

13. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Then, sorry to say they are full of shit and never verified the statement before committing to print.

14. nozdog

nozdog Active Member

I'm glad someone who actually knows what they're talking about has piped up :)

Woolich Racing is value for money in my opinion and there would only be about 3 companies I would use to flash my ecu in the UK who will not fill your head with bullshit figures. ;)

15. karl wesley

karl wesley Active Member

can you name them for me ? interested

16. nozdog

nozdog Active Member

1st Gavin at Racing HQ
    2nd Tony at Parkitt Racing
    3rd Ben at MSS performance Racing (mapped my 2011)

There are a couple of others but this would be my top 3 depending where your located in the country

Cheers Alex.

• Useful Useful x 2
  17. karl wesley

karl wesley Active Member

thanks Alex will check them out:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1