Engine coolant

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Bish, Jul 2, 2019.

1. auag

auag Active Member

I couldn't make this up. Exactly the outcome any engineer would expect.
    Evans is s**t. Fact.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. auag

auag Active Member

image.jpg
    The inconvenient truth. Unless you think your cooling system can run on ammonia, then good old, dirt cheap water, is the reason no OEM uses Evans sh*t.

3. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

The main reason why many people do not have a waterless cooling is, because the cost of the waterless coolant is much higher. Of course there are always many advantages in opinions, but also disadvantages, or opinions, but no knowledge. I am not over-obsessed with amateur videos of people who want to express their personal opinions or people who think by all means that only they are right. Some vehicles run cooler with a waterless coolant, especially if they are equipped with a high-performance engine. Others do not. To take full advantage some people might want to do a few modifications. For example, they change the thermostat etc. A lot of race teams are using it, including drag race teams. The product is NHRA approved etc. Indian's factory race team in the American Flat Track series using this product as well.
    Last but not least, I am not an Evans Waterless Product salesperson.

4. auag

auag Active Member

I think you're being a little harsh calling BobsPropShop amateur. He has several mechanics and fabricators working for him, he builds cars for film studios.
    Evans gave him the glycol and flushing in the hope he would endorse their product. He followed their instructions to the letter and his Delorean ran hotter on Evans than water. That's why he posted the video. No opinions, just a temperature gauge.
    Do you have the details of these engines that run cooler on waterless than water? I'd love to see them and so would Evans. They admit in their blurb that waterless will not reduce engine running temperatures, only lower the system pressure.

5. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Stop fuxking about and just put motorcycle coolant in ,,,,,,,,,, that's it :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

8. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

Enough!

I have a life other than writing endless stories.

Use the best water from the River Thames and enjoy riding with Chinese levers on your bike.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I cant understand how this hasn’t been taken off topic and become the usual @Lozzy @bazzashadow love fest :confused:. Is there a rift, is it all over o_O:D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

If I can stick my oar in? Please bear in mind though, I'm not a chemist or physicist. Just an ex mechanic.
    I watched the DeLorean cooling video & it seems obvious that the V6 Douvrin engine was designed for front engined vehicles, so it looks as though the water pump is not man enough (sexist?) to circulate the coolant in sufficient volumes through the radiator & back, despite the thermosiphon effect. An engine is only really cooled by radiation, but conduction & convection take place to achieve the radiation. That car either needs an additional pump, a larger pump or a smaller pump pulley to increase its speed, but this can cause voids & possible cavitation. Standard cooling systems are designed to run under pressure to increase the boiling point of the coolant. This is the reason why it's dangerous to remove the pressure cap on a hot engine. There is usually some coolant in the system that is at more than 115 degrees C. It does not boil because it's under pressure. If you suddenly release that pressure, the coolant boils instantly (& violently) & you'll probably never need to shave that armpit again! The correct (50/50) mix of anti-freeze & de-ionised water raises the boiling point above that of water alone, the pressure (as a result of the rise in temperature) is controlled by the pressure cap to protect the hoses. There's also a vacuum valve in there to prevent the hoses from collapsing as the engine cools. I'll be using a silicate free anti-freeze & the correct water to prevent the effects of electrolysis corrosion from water with an electrical charge. De-ionised water has any electrical charge removed. I think the Evan's stuff is a bit gimmicky, very expensive & requires a lot of preparation to use it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. pete954

pete954 Active Member

I tried Evans coolant on my 2017 blade and it ran way hotter. Up to 10⁰ C hotter than water based coolants. On a run steady run on A roads with the ambient temperature at 15⁰C it ran at 83⁰C. Changed back to Motul Organic and in similar conditions it ran at 77⁰. You live and learn.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

I use Renault coolant, because my mate works for guss who? Renault.
    Before I'd use red long life concentrate with some filtered water from the window cleaner.

#32 Broadie, Apr 6, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  13. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

14. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Seems like he is obsessed with coolant systems being pressurised, they only do this when there is a problem, most bikes should run at 80 c to 95c which is below boiling and will not pressurise the system, if you have a problem and it goes over 100 c he has stated the Evens will make it worse, I think he is just trying to sell the stuff
    I will stick to Honda coolant, in the past I am sure I have seen they do not like coolants with silicates as it causes water pump failure so do your homework on choice

15. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

How good aftermarket products are is something you only really find out when you've tried them yourself. There are always pros and cons, and everyone has their own opinions, experiences, and knowledge.

I've been using Evans Cooling in my Aprilia since I bought it new. So far, I haven't had any bad experiences, and I haven't encountered any overheating issues either.

This product is also used by many racing teams, although it's worth noting that these teams are sponsored by Evans. If the product weren't technically suitable for racing vehicles, I'm sure no team would use it.

I believe that both traditional products and Evans products have their pros and cons, and everyone must decide for themselves which they prefer.