Engine Overheat??

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by ignatius, Aug 21, 2020.

1. ignatius

ignatius Active Member

2 weeks back in the weekend went for a ride out to original tea hut, epping forest. I know it was hot day , but still for a 15 mile ride , my legs got barbecued even after wearing jeans and my spada st1 boots and the temperature in the dash displayed 94 degrees. Engine oil and coolant are in good levels and the bikes mileage is 4k. Bike got services a year back and only done 300 miles till date. Does it need a oil change or what is the max temperature can be accepted. When bought the bike from sheffield to london , it was fine and is it to do with outside temperature???

2. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Is this water temperature? Mine sees 108 in traffic and I don't worry about it. If it was showing over 90 while I was at running speed not following anything I'd be tempted to check it over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

The ambient air temp could push it up a bit, also if you’re stopping and starting or in slow moving traffic it can go up quickly. The fans kick in at around 104c.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I hated the fact as soon as you see any traffic the temp gauge skyrockets and the fan does not kick in until about 105, I now have a switch so I can put the fan on as and when i need

• Like Like x 1
  5. R.M

R.M Member

78-79c is my normal running temp with no traffic in front of me. If stuck behind traffic or in slow moving traffic, then the temp rises to 104 or 105 before dropping (presume fan has kicked in & doing it's work)

• Like Like x 1
  6. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Ironically with light trousers you get more heat hitting your bum!
    The wind direction is worth 2~4 deg change.
    You can to to a higher viscosity grade oil to reduce the yoyo effect of the temperature tha jez mentioned.
    As long as the fans work properly and keep the max temp in check, the bike is safe but consistant high temp running wears out the oil quicker

• Like Like x 1
  7. ignatius

ignatius Active Member

Thanks All for your advice's, anyhow thought to change the oil and filter as the oil is sitting in for an year, though its not used.