Engine turns but wont start

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by new_world99, May 23, 2019.

1. new_world99

new_world99 Active Member

Hi folks,
    I have a 2013 blade with only 1000 miles on the clock. Hasn't been ridden since last serviced and has been on optimate 4 through the winter in a fairly cold shed. This week I tried to give it a run but, although the engine turns over, it wont fire. Any advice please?
    I tried to upload a video of me starting it but this site doesn't seem to like .mp4 files?

2. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Does it try to fire up?

3. new_world99

The starter engine just turns but the engine doesn't fire up. I have topped it up with fuel, checked oil level etc.

Here is a photo of the optimate plugged in.

Attached Files:

4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Can you hear the fuel pump?

5. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Mine has this a couple of times, I've found just flicking the ignition off, kill switch off, and then both back on again fixes it.
    I'm sure you've tried that though?

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

If it's the original battery it could be stuffed. Just because it's been on charge doesn't necessarily mean it's a 100% battery. Do you have access to a multi meter to check battery voltage? These bikes are a pig to start with a suspect battery.

7. Jez

Jez Senior Member

always check the kill switch is in the right position. I had that one day, just ready to go out, few flicks over would not start, saw kill switch then batt to slow would not start. Had to get the jump leads

8. new_world99

Think the battery is stuffed.

Any consensus out there as to if it's best to get an acid or lithium replacement? Not much difference in price nowadays. Bearing in mind, it gets left in a cold shed over the winter months. Or I just need to unplug the battery and take it indoor over the winter?

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Someone suggested that. Good call whoever it was.

As you say, cost of lithium and conventional batts are similar. I have each in my bikes and see no performance difference. On that basis, if you're not hell bent on saving weight, buy the lead acid or gel. This makes more sense given that you have the Optimate. If you buy lithium you will have to then buy a specific Li-ion charger for £50 - £80.;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

If you don't have a trickle charger for the bike then I would go Lithium and take the battery into the house over winter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. new_world99

Thanks for all the advice.

Still don't get why the battery would fail having always had it on the optimate when stored.

12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

6 year-old-bike. Unless you're the original owner, yo wouldn't know how the battery has been treated before your ownership. it might have deteriorated to within an inch of its life before you got the bike.

Your using an Optimate gives the same effect as a set of resuscitators kick starting a stopped heart - it'll only keep going for so long.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Another vote for stuffed battery (unless it is the dreaded kill switch), Your loose charge capacity irrespective of charger.
    A healthy one should read 13+V after a full recharge and 12.5V after 4~7 days. Get close to 12v you will crank the engine but not start it. Get an Fulbat AGM for <£30 or if you don't ride in cold weather and no drain on the battery when the ignition is off then lithium is another option