Erratic engine braking.

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by RR5, Sep 18, 2020.

1. RR5

RR5 New Member

Bike is fine at idle, and also rides fine whenever youre giving it any throttle.

But when you let off and the RPM drops below 4k the bike starts to jerk erratically, it feels like it's getting quick bursts of throttle despite me giving no input and the tacho needle wobbles instead of dropping smoothly.

I loosened the throttle cable to make sure that wasnt the problem but it made no difference.

The bike came with a power commander which I havn't touched so I'm wondering if that's the culprit.

EDIT: I'll try and make a video of it tommorow

#1 RR5, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  2. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I take it the oil is right & in good condition as it can interfere with the slipper clutch.

PC could cause it if it delivers fuel when it is supposed to be shut off

3. RR5

RR5 New Member

Doesnt have a slipper clutch as far as I'm aware, oil is new and topped up anyway.

Might try a different map on the PC and see if that sorts it as Ive no idea whats on the thing right now.

4. Mr_Chin_LK

Mr_Chin_LK Well-Known Member

My bike has been playing up too recently, so have all my mates bikes. It's definitely something in the air. I spoke to my dyno guy and he said he's never seen a PC fail, except in a crash. My bike has been running like shit. Running like the PC isn't working, excessive engine braking randomly. Exhaust tone goes louder and it feels powerless when pinned. If I pin my bike, it scares the living shit out of me usually, but doesn't when running like this. My mates CBR6 has the FI light come on too from time to time. My FI came on and my bike died on Sunday too, but she fired straight up again and did a further 70 miles trouble free.

Don't worry about it, it changes its mind daily at the moment. I bet it's fine today.

Chin