Fairing removal - tips ?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by fez.57, Nov 10, 2012.

1. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

then i removed the chain guard and rear hugger, again these are both very easy to remove as they are both held in place by only 2 bolts, (it did take a bit of wiggling to get the chain guard out though)
    852.jpg
    853.jpg

i then tried to remove the rear fairing around the pillion seat but after removing all the visable parts that were holding it in place the damn thing would not budge

so i then removed the front mudguard instead by removing the 2 bolts either side of the fork leg and the clip that holds the brake line in place, (again i did the exact same on the opposite side aswell)
    856.jpg

once all these were removed i had a real hard time getting the mudguard to squeeze between the fork legs but eventually it came free
    861.jpg

then i removed the exhaust heat shield that is held in place with 3 brackets on the leo vince pannel
    863.jpg

and then this is where it all came to a sudden end, with the sun long gone and starting to get dark my limited ability finally ran out, after removing the 4 bolts that hold the bellypan in place i just could figure out how to disconnect it from the 2 side fairing pannels

so this is where i need your help guys n girlies, exactly what bits do i need to remove to get the rear fairing pannel to come loose and should i remove the belly pan first or is it better to remove the 2 side fairings first, also how the hell do you actually undo all the clips that join the damn things together

#21 fez.57, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Well done fez, don't forget the tools/materials needed to re-fit
    - Bluetac
    - Chewing gum
    - double sided tape

3. gringo

gringo Active Member

fez there the same tools i have but my hammer is bigger this site makes me laugh great banter and advice priceless

4. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

As you can see from the pics it is all very simple but the belly pan is a right pain to seperate. im sure once i figure that out the side fairings will pop straight off

5. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Interesting and useful thread Fez although I can’t see the attachments for some reason and its saying inform the moderators ?, anyone else got the same issue ?

6. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Interesting and useful thread Fez although I can’t see the attachments for some reason and its saying inform the moderators ?, anyone else got the same issue ?

7. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I can see the pictures in the first part but not the second part and now you're repeating yourself too.

Fez. I'm loving this thread. You are a man after my own heart. Select the right tools for the job right at the start.

Then go and get some more, then some more, then some more...

One particular roll of paper we use has these as end caps

[​IMG]

And they're brilliant at keeping fixings separated.

#27 kpone, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Thank you. i do intend on posting more pics of how to remove the rest of it but i will have to have another go next weekend and see if i can crack it. not sure why the pics in the 2nd post are not working but i will try and get them sorted

9. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

top thread and keep it coming mate, any help for me and others is a great start

10. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

+1

11. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

all sorted now guys, you should be able to see them

12. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Much better, looking good fez

13. lee711

lee711 Active Member

Fez, if you look at the flat part of the belly pan ( the bit that sits directly under the the down pipes ) both from the inside and looking up from underneath, you will see 2 small tabs on each side, these need to be carefully wiggled out sideways (they sometimes get jammed in place by small stones and gravel that gets flicked up by the front wheel) or if your sitting facing the side fairing you need to carefully wiggle the bottom of the side faring towards you to release them, once they're out you'll be able to see how the other tabs sit and then remove the bellypan.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dogman

dogman Member

• Like Like x 2
  15. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

thanks for that,i have now managed to get it off now, it was just all the little tabs that i couldnt figure out how to disconnect

16. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Always handy to have

17. stevekk

stevekk Active Member

Keep Them Coming Man. Although I've An Rr7 I Love These Type Of Threads

18. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

Ditto the above, any extra pics would be good as its the side panels and belly pan i would want to remove to give it a full clean.

19. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

pmsl, youve got it undone...you just wait till you try and put it back together!
    you'll have more chance finding a Virgin in Essex! its a real pig, they should sell it as an IQ puzzle on Firebox!

20. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

don't say that, I'm taking my fairing off in the new year to fit a track faring for my first time :(