Fairing removal - tips ?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by fez.57, Nov 10, 2012.

1. sinewave

sinewave God Like

You must not have lipped the top of the guard over the front of the plastic trim at the very top of the inner fairing side pieces?

Snug as then, this is maybe why Evotech state it's not designed for the ABS model maybe?

Honda CBR1000RR Radiator Guard | Motorcycle Parts | Honda Spares

Notice how they only state "Not suitable for the ABS model" right at the bottom of the page in non-highlighted txt rather than right at the top in the description! :rolleyes:

2. Brym

Brym Active Member

Put some copper slip on the screws. I have just had to drill out the "Special screw" on the lower cowl left hand side front. The nut was just spinning, its brass coated in rubber with no flats for a spanner. So when it gets a bit of corrosion it won't come undone. Tried gripping it with long nose pliers and grips etc but no luck had to drill the head off. So my simple oil change job took much longer!
    Now replaced with a stainless dome head screw and nyloc nut with lots of copper slip to stop me swearing next time!
    On my 2010 RRA abs model not sure if its the same on 2012 models but worth lubing up the screws, especially if you ride in the wet.

DSC_0190.jpg

#62 Brym, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  3. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

This thread has got me thinking..... I am happy with my current 954 but had been thinking of getting a 2010 Repsol next... i am really not too sure. I love to keep my bike clean, and that means taking off the fairings, as stated on previous pages it takes a few mins to get my panels off, no swearing and no broken anything... i don't want to be taking hours to do this. I think i may need to give consideration to the CB1000R.

4. Brym

Brym Active Member

It would have been easy if the the person who last serviced it put some copper slip or grease on the thread. That's why I was passing on the info so others don't end up in the same boat as me.
    With the belly pan off you can get to lot's of bits to clean it up and its easy to remove when you know how.....well usually it is ;)

5. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

The rr5 comes apart and goes back together well or why not (if happy with the 954) just get a repsol kit for it? The 954 has a lovely shape and would look great in repsol trim!

6. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

just had my own run in with the famous 'special screw' aka feckin, poxy, wankin well nut!
    mine was exactly as Brym, spinning with the well nut so entirely impossible to undo, in the end the plastic bracket holding it snapped and I had to remove the bracket from the engine.
    Then I could get the well nut off by wrecking it. I only wanted to do an oil and filter change I can't believe some twat thought these were better than a nut fixed to the bracket.

i have temporarily used a nut and bolt with a washer to avoid damage as its bank holiday weekend and no parts for sale.

Does anyone know where I can get the poxy well nuts from or do you have a better alternative as Im convinced they will spin time and time again.
    Internet search came up with RIVNUTS but unable to find tool or prices for UK.

thanks in advance

7. dogman

dogman Member

#67 dogman, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

9. MOz

MOz New Member

Thought I'd add to this having sussed the bellypan no problems.

The video is not much help. The lugs do nothing other than hold the bellypan in place. Once you have removed the 4 bolts and disconnected the middle lugs (by pulling backwards and downwards) the rest of the bellypan comes out very easily by pushing it backwards from the forward most point just behind the front wheel. Do not try and force the lugs up, remove any of the lugs one by one or try to split the bellypan and fairing sides downwards. Just push the bellypan backwards from the bit that sits immediately behind the front wheel. Simples.

10. dogman

dogman Member

I had to remove the left side mid fairing and came across something nobody else has mentioned.
    The air intake duct is "stuck" to the back of the headlight with what can be best described as super velcro.
    I was pulling and tugging to no avail then I decided to have a good look with a torch and spotted the offending item, which requires the insertion of a flat blade screwdriver to seperate it.
    My bike had never been apart before and is a 2011. Has nobody else struck this? It isnt mentioned in the manual.
    But yeah, I agree with everyone else, this bike has the flimsiest plastics I have seen. no wonder it is light.

11. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

I find that a good highside at oulton park often aids rather well in fairing removal, simply wait until the track resembles a lake, lean over much further than you should and twist the throttle! Hey presto!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

I think if you start with a selection of Well nuts, scrivets Etc (& Copperslip,The Healing Balm) for replacement of worn or pulled to bits ones, you start with a calmer mentality and the job is less of a stress.
    Mike.

13. Coogie

Coogie Active Member

Great thread. Thanks for the pictures, very helpful

14. Agent Orange

Agent Orange New Member

I have some carbon (satin) frame guards which I want to fit to my 2010 'blade. I wondered if there are any instructions which I can download for help?